Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Stihl ms180c clutch/chain sprocket housing problem

MI

09-16-17, 12:45 PM   #1  
Stihl ms180c clutch/chain sprocket housing problem

HI,

Originally, something happened to my relatively new Stihl ms180C chainsaw causing the clip that holds the chain sprocket in place to somehow pop off. I noticed it when eventually my chain overheated from not receiving oil. I tried to clean the ports by running a wire into the holes where the oil comes from and also replacing the part that turned the sprocket on the oiler worm drive, but no luck.

So I decided to just replace the oiler parts. I ordered a kit and began replacing the parts. After putting in a new worm drive and oil line, I went to reassemble the clutch and chain sprocket and I discovered that the metal spring/liner (that lines the outside of the housing for the clutch and chain sprocket) has sprung loose. I have no idea how this happened!!! Frustrating! So now I need to figure out how to reset the metal liner before I can reassemble the clutch and chain sprocket.

Any ideas on how to do this and also how it might have happened? So much for a simple diy project.

A picture is attached that shows the sprung liner.

Thanks for any help!!!! I really appreciate it.

IK

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-19-17, 10:44 PM   #2  
Sorry, I don't think I've had to do it on that model. I know the spring is strong and will probably take some prying to get it back enough to click and lock.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MI

09-20-17, 02:41 AM   #3  
Any suggestions on how to pry it. It is really strong and I can't tell what end is in the right position. Just pulling on it is insufficient.

MO

09-20-17, 09:33 AM   #4  
ikleiman, send me your email address and I will send you the shop manual for your saw. Have a good one. Geo

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-23-17, 10:43 PM   #5  
Usually you push the end with the spring on it against the spring until it resets. I can't tell from your pic which end that is or if it's even feasible on your saw.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread