Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda GCV160 Motor - Junk?

VA

09-20-17, 11:08 AM   #1  
Honda GCV160 Motor - Junk?

I recently bought a Troy-Bilt lawnmower with Honda GCV160 motor, and it is starting to run poorly (low RPM, hunting). It is intermittent, but is getting worse. Ironically, I borrowed a neighbor's power washer last weekend, which uses the same motor, and it ran like crap. It was barely running and puffing black smoke at first, then ran fine for 15 to 20 minutes, then died and wouldn't start again. Is there a known issue with this series motor? Perhaps the carb is ultra sensitive?

Sponsored Links

IA

09-20-17, 11:16 AM   #2  
Any carb can wear out but the most frequent problem is fuel varnish or ethanol fuels working on the gaskets, seals, or diaphragms, depending what engine/fuel setup.

Honda is considered to be a very good engine.

Like Geo is about to say, put some Sea Foam in it. That's usually my first try on a dirty carb.

Last edited by marbobj; 09-20-17 at 12:39 PM.

MO

09-20-17, 12:34 PM   #3  
Put a strong dose of SeaFoam in the gas and it will probably clean it up. Have a good one. Geo

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

09-20-17, 03:30 PM   #4  
Those carbs are quite basic and simple, no diaphragms or plastic. Many times the problem is a restriction where gas never gets too so Seafoam is just as likely not to help. Also the main jet on those is above the fuel level so it rarely gets plugged.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-23-17, 10:47 PM   #5  
They're pretty good engines. Check the filter, if ok, clean the carb.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread