Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

"Preventive maintenance" on a Husqvarna 125B leaf blower?

09-20-17, 07:30 PM   #1  
"Preventive maintenance" on a Husqvarna 125B leaf blower?

I really like this leaf blower.

It runs fine now but I would like to ensure that it continues to run smoothly.

I was planning on replacing the spark plug, carburetor, air filter and fuel filter (at a cost of about $20 -$25).

Is there a point in doing this, will it help to ensure continued strong performance?

Sponsored Links

MI

09-21-17, 02:18 AM   #2  
Spark plug, air filter and fuel filter are maintenance items so yes they need to be changed/cleaned per manufactures schedule.

Carb is not changed but gas is always an issue with the krappy ethanol they use.

Keep it fresh, use stabilizer when not in use for long periods!

Personally my blower gets used more than any other tool, year round, so gas is always fresh and it never gets "stored".

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-21-17, 02:30 AM   #3  
I never use ethanol gas in my small engines. Locally there are several stations that have ethanol free gas and it does cost more but it's not like small engines use a lot. Whenever I suspect a small engine might not get run again for awhile I add StaBil to the last can of gas. Filters should be cleaned/replaced regularly although I often don't change the sparkplug until it either starts to run rough or hard to start.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

TN

09-21-17, 06:34 AM   #4  
I have a Husky 150BT. After extended use, it became sluggish. I cleaned the spark arrestor screen and all was well. Just a tip for future reference.

09-21-17, 06:15 PM   #5  
Posted By: Wirepuller38 I have a Husky 150BT. After extended use, it became sluggish. I cleaned the spark arrestor screen and all was well. Just a tip for future reference.

What is this arrestor screen you speak of?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-22-17, 02:37 AM   #6  
While I've never had to clean the spark arrestor screen on my leaf blower I've done it numerous times on my chainsaws. If I remember correctly you take the cover off of the muffler to access it. If it gets plugged it will restrict the exhaust and affect how the engine runs. The engine doesn't have to have the screen to run but it's installed so sparks can't blow out the exhaust and start a fire.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CT

09-22-17, 05:16 AM   #7  
Far and away the primary preventative measure is to use the proper fuel (87+ octane) and the correct mix (50:1) with the appropriate 2-stroke (not marine) oil. Mix only sufficient fuel to keep it fresh or use a stabilizer.

The second most important measure involves off-season storage. Follow the handbook instructions.

Beyond that, keep your filters, arrestor and spark plug clean.

I don't consider changing the carburetor either preventative or maintenance. However, adjustment may be required after a year or two.

NY

09-23-17, 05:12 AM   #8  
I'll add one thing to all this good advice: consider using pre-mixed 2 cycle fuel. I'm not sure why, but it seems to prevent fuel related problems much better than home mixed fuel, even non-ethanol with stabilizer. It's expensive, but depending on how much you use your blower, it might not be too bad. YMMV Good luck, Steve

Search this Thread