Pressure washing connector not locking in

Old 09-30-17, 08:26 AM
Pressure washing connector not locking in

I have a Powerhorse pressure washer (model# 45811) that I've used once the past two years. I drug it out today and get some mold off the side of the house and tried to connect the wand to the pressure hose. For the life of me I can't get the "nipple" of the want to lock into the coupler (see pic). I even tried spraying it with lubricant and using some channel locks to bring the collar up over the nipple with no luck.

This worked fine that last time I used it. I tried this on two separate wands with the same result, so I'm pretty confident it's the couple and not anything wrong with the nipples (which there shouldn't be, since the wants haven't been used in two years).

Any ideas how to "encourage" the collar to lock in the nipple? I had thought about replacing the collar, but I'd have to really clamp down on that rubber collar that goes around it (and I'm not even sure if that part can be separate from the hose.

You can see in the photo that the collar is not going over the small ball bearings completely. Will I need to replace the hose? What do you expect when it's made in China.

MISC by hikerguy1 | Photobucket

thanks, Andy

Attached Images  

Last edited by PJmax; 09-30-17 at 04:11 PM. Reason: added pic from link
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-17, 11:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Lubrication usually fixes it, I wonder if you have a piece of trash stuck in there preventing it from sliding back ??

Old 09-30-17, 04:13 PM
Group Moderator
Mark made some good points.
If the fitting won't go in all the way.... the collar won't lock.

It almost looks like the Q/D can be removed and the hose attached directly. Not much help in the exploded parts views.

northern tool/downloads/manuals/45811.pdf

Old 10-01-17, 06:29 AM
Group Moderator
I'd spray it with WD-40 and move the locking ring back and forth to try and get the balls moving. If they (the balls) are stuck in place then use an ice pick or nail to break them free.

Old 10-01-17, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, but still no go. The collar has always moved freely. I did't see anything that could be blocking things, but I took some compressed air anyway and sprayed where the nipple would go. I also oiled it real well and moved the collar back and forth. STILL no go.

I did end up taking that quick disconnected off and tried putting it on the workbench and pushing the nipped in but it just won't go down far enough. Do I need to buy a new Q/D?

I've added a few more pics:

MISC by hikerguy1 | Photobucket

Attached Images    

Last edited by PJmax; 10-01-17 at 01:36 PM. Reason: added pics from links
Old 10-01-17, 01:37 PM
Group Moderator
If the connector won't go in far enough to lock.... it's defective and needs to be replaced.

I've never had a defective fitting unless it got run over by a vehicle.

Old 10-01-17, 05:53 PM
Definitely not ran over Guess I'll guy a new one. Just doesn't make sense, as I can pull that ring down all the way (as far as it will go). Is this quick disconnect part something I can buy anywhere (i.e. it's not proprietary, is it?).

Old 10-01-17, 09:22 PM
Group Moderator
I would take the fitting to the depot or lowes and try it with what they have available.

Old 10-02-17, 02:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As far as I know all those PWer disconnects are interchangeable.

There are two reasons for it not to work, either the collar isn't going back far enough or the steel balls are stuck.

Old 10-02-17, 02:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have taken them apart and cleaned the balls and made them work.

Old 10-02-17, 07:03 AM
If the O-ring in the bottom of the female half has hardened it can take a LOT of force to seat the male fitting far enough.
Those O-rings are replaceable but I don't know where to find them. Possibly they are found in the set of assorted service O-rings I saw at Menards by the power washer components.

Old 10-02-17, 01:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I took one apart, cleaned it and somehow lost the O ring. I just used a generic O ring of the correct size.

Old 10-05-17, 09:28 PM
I would get a new collar and a new nozzle replace both.. $24 bucks both That is what i do..
when u buy BUY 2 sets have a extra
there is a black o ring in there, it breaks apart.....
I do pressure washing on the side and change mine out when they stick..
and sometimes getting off I have to use a screw drive and tap off with a wrench..
Face Book see my page.. David McGough

Last edited by fatdaddy; 10-05-17 at 11:45 PM.