Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Simplicity tractor oil leak

OH

10-01-17, 08:09 AM   #1  
Simplicity tractor oil leak

My 1996 Simplicity Sunstar tractor Model #1692135 has developed an oil leak in the vincinity of the Hydrostat, and judging from the way the oil is scattered all over, it is probably coming from the oil seal where the u joint attaches to the splined stub that I assume is there somewhere. Can this seal be replaced while leaving the hydro and rear axle etc still in the tractor? The plastic tube that indicates oil level is still showing an inch of fluid above the fitting, which is what the manual calls for, but as best as can tell it is trans fluid on the floor. Can I get a service manual for this unit on line somewhere?

Sponsored Links

OH

10-02-17, 07:34 AM   #2  
Oil Leak

I have determined after removing a couple of covers and running the machine while observing, that the leak is definitely coming from the front oil seal where the pto shaft attaches to the input shaft for the trans. From the lookf of it , the pto shaft should probably be removed to allow removal of the housing that contains the seal so I can remove it. I was lookint for something that might allow me to telescope the shaft to get it out of the way, but it is solid from front to rear. I will try to take off the housing and see if that gives me enough play to slide it out without removing the shaft, unless someone tells me I absolutely have to do remove the shaft. (that will require either moving the entire transaxle backwards, or removing the bolts for the front side of it from the engine crankshaft.

OH

10-02-17, 10:11 AM   #3  
Oil Leak

I found a service manual from the Simplicity web site www.simplicitymfg.com (the guy on the chat window got it for me and sent it)
Glad I did, the secret to moving the driveshaft out of the way is to loosen the engine mounts and move the whole engine forward so the pto shaft is out of the way. THEN you can remove the trans input shaft pillow block and access the seal and bearing.

Looks Like all the parts I might need along with the seal are still available.

Search this Thread