Craftsman 917.270821 Steering repair

Old 10-06-17, 02:27 PM
Craftsman 917.270821 Steering repair

I am trying to repair the steering on my mower. The gears are worn out and the mower will not turn anymore. I've watched youtube videos and know what I need to do but I have run into a roadblock and need some advice. I am at the point that I am ready to remove the steering gear assembly, but I can't get the steering shaft extension off of the steering shaft so that I can pull it through. Any tips or tricks to getting this thing off? Does it just take muscle to get it?

I'm going to try to attach a photo in the hopes that it makes it easier to see what I am trying to do. In the photo, I am trying to remove part #44 from part #17. I have removed the bolt and it still will not come off.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
John

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-17, 02:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Heat it with a Mapp gas torch & spin it.

Old 10-06-17, 03:22 PM
What parts on the diagram are you trying to separate?

Old 10-06-17, 03:29 PM
He already told us which parts, 44 & 17.

Old 10-06-17, 03:40 PM
So he did, it's Friday after all, I missed it :P

As I recall those are not very stout, I would fill 44 with some penetrating oil to begin with, then use a pair of pipe wrenches to try and get them to move. Once and if the penetrating oil (something like JB Blaster) starts to seep out and still not coming loose, try some engine oil and maybe a block of wood on top and tap with a hammer.
# 17 should be fairly stout and you can get aggressive on it, and 44 is kinda weak but you could mutilate it and replace it if need be.

Heat is also an option once you get some juice down there. I would still go easy with heat either a small bottle torch or a good hair dryer.

I have found for stuck parts like this that a very good penetrant is used engine oil and gasoline. Mix about 1/4 cup and let it work in...patience is key. Gasoline is nearly a Non-Newtonian fluid and will find a way through any space or crack and at time seemingly defying gravity.

Old 10-07-17, 12:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just take th bolt out, put the steering wheel back on and turn the steering wheel until it breaks loose and spin it while pulling up. That's how I get it off.

Old 10-07-17, 07:22 AM
Gee wiz cheese where is the fun in that

I mentioned it was friday and I had spent most of it removing the spindles off two New/4year old mowers...

Old 10-07-17, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I've tried just turning the wheel but since the gears are worn out, it doesn't provide enough resistance to make that work. I'm going to try to find a larger pair of vice grips to try to hold the shaft so I can try turning it to get it loose.

Will post back later with results.