Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toro HMR running issue

OH

10-15-17, 08:31 AM   #1  
Toro HMR running issue

I have a 1989 ToroHMR 1600 16 hp Kohler twin engine, that was completely rebuilt two years ago, and then went into storage

When I fired it up recently , I had a problem getting it to rev up to the right operatiing rpm. I took the carb apart and cleaned it, which made no difference, and while testing I noticed an intermittent back fire out the exhaust that wasn't there before. I'm thinking it might be a sticking valve or ? Any advice as to where to go looking next?

Sponsored Links

IA

10-15-17, 09:25 AM   #2  
Fuel issues would cap rpms and can account for the backfire. It could be a sticking valve, but If it ran well after the rebuild, I would suspect the carburetor.

I'd run some Sea Foam through it in the gas a little in the oil. That may take care of it - it works in a lot of cases.

OH

10-15-17, 01:13 PM   #3  
HMR Running Issue

I was running late when I posted my initial thread. I CAN get the engine to throttle up If I take the air filter off. (It is a new filter) There is one needle valve on this carburetor that USED to affect the running efficiency when adjusted. I does NOT affect anything now until I turn it to the completely closed position (which stalls the engine) The needle valve position does not help if the air filter is removed however. It wont hurt to take the carb off again and re treat it with carb cleaner if you think that would cure it. A lot easier than doing another valve adjustment)

IA

10-15-17, 03:24 PM   #4  
Put some Sea Foam in it - always a good first try.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-15-17, 07:23 PM   #5  
Sounds like a clogged carb to me.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OH

10-16-17, 07:30 AM   #6  
Toro HMR running issue

Ok Seafoam in the gas, and soak the Carb in Cleaner and flush it again! Ill let you know!

Search this Thread