Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hook in cover of Craftsman tiller 917.295351?

GA

10-17-17, 01:01 PM   #1  
Hook in cover of Craftsman tiller 917.295351?

Hello!

For a Craftsman tiller 917.295351, there is a cover over the belt. To remove it, there's one bolt coming up from the top, one bolt in the side, and then there is one going down that you slide the cover on.

There is also a hook shaped thing that bolts into the cover I can't tell what it's supposed to hook on (if anything), how it's supposed to be oriented, or if it's just some type of support for the belt.

I can only find one exploded diagram for this thing and it seems to show the hook angled toward the big pulley, but I can't tell if it's supposed to be hooked on something. And it looks like I have to put in on first, otherwise I can't get to it with the cover on.

Anyone have any ideas?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!
leaning

Attached Images

Sponsored Links

IA

10-17-17, 01:43 PM   #2  
That is probably the support for the slack of the belt when the tiller is out of gear.
But in looking where that bolt would be located relative to the slot for the mounting bolt that hook may drag on the belt if pointing up.

Serving as a belt support is the only thing I can see it would be for.

Last edited by marbobj; 10-17-17 at 02:01 PM.

GA

11-08-17, 03:37 PM   #3  
Closing the loop on this thread. I ended up pointing the hook down and letting the belt ride over it. (shrug).
Thanks for everyone's help and maybe someone else can use this info.
Regards, leaning

Attached Images

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

11-08-17, 04:24 PM   #4  
If you check the drawing again, look for a spring you don't have...??? IIRC there should be a spring that pulls the tensioner pulley back to neutral...I have one basically the same and mine is missing and sometimes I have to help the cable back to get the belt to disengage.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

GA

11-09-17, 06:58 PM   #5  
BFHFixit,

Here's the only diagram I could find. No spring that I can see near there. https://www.searspartsdirect.com/mod...7/1508100.html

It runs fine, so I don't know. Next project...

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
leaning

Search this Thread