LX176 Deere Hydrastatic hits and steers hard

Old 11-03-17, 10:23 AM
LX176 Deere Hydrastatic hits and steers hard

My deere is 14 years old approx This J .d. is good tractor- but now i would like to shove it in front of a truck.When you use the forward and reverse pedal , it hits to hard. It is supposed glide into For and rev, With ease. I put new oil in trans axel- and try to keep it up there.Has anyone any help with this? And the other problem ~being it steers very hard-- Its been greased and the air in the tires is above what it calls for ~~~to make it steer easier, What else can i look for about this problem? Thank you all ahead of time- for any help you can give on these 2 things bob s

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-17, 01:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As for the hydro, the first thing to eliminate is that all the linkage is secure and not worn. Has the belt come off? Check the fan on top of the tranny..still in one piece? Next would be changing the oil and purging the tranny.

As for the steering disconnect the drag links at the spindles with the front tires off the ground. The move the steering wheel, and each front wheel sensing for stiff movement. If all is free put weight back on the tires and repeat. Likely your spindle bushings/bearings.

Old 11-03-17, 03:26 PM
Got the steering figured out now BUT---the hydro question is as follows The owners manual says DO NOT change oil in the tank, only add to it. Reason being from them was this/ You should not change oil in this Lx176 because by doing that you can easily drop a turd or something of this nature [dirt] and mess up the Oil supply i the tank. I believe some of this and i'll you why so; When you remove the filler cap/ theres a round "sponge pushed tightly into the neck of the tank" Takes needle nose pliers to get hold of it .what do you think?????? bobs and thanks for the reply

Old 11-03-17, 03:56 PM
Find a make model and serial number on your hydro and I might be able to find tech info on servicing.
Otherwise in most cases the unit needs to be removed to change the oil. Most that are serviceable have only a fill port and no drain.

Old 11-04-17, 12:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The LX176 came with a tuff torq k61 hydro. They are really tough units. The sponge keeps dirt from getting into the unit, I doubt that's the problem. Usually when dirt gets in it, it wears out the little pump and you lose motion, more-so when it heats up. Jerky motion which I think is what you're describing (?) is usually caused by a dirty/rusty pivot linkage on the transmission. It sticks and finally when you put enough pressure on it, it jumps from zero to full without the nice and easy slow transition from zero to full.

Old 11-04-17, 02:29 PM
Made a note to look over spindles and the play or tightness of them .And thank you for the reply good weekend to you bob s

Old 11-04-17, 03:01 PM
JERKY MOTION is exactly what i am feeling in this J.D CHEESE

Old 11-05-17, 05:34 AM
BFHFIXIT HAVE THESE SERIAL#S YOU NEEDED To get me a copy as you say--that will sho me whats what in this LX176

I have the serial# here, Is this what you need>FC420VCO3490...Vehicle# if needed is this;MOO38OC148627If another number is needed Please let me know and THANK you for this much needed help.

Attached picture is what i have done most of my life,Plus others. bob s

ps; jus thinking alittle more about this. If i had to remove the rear trans axel Why couldn't I lift this mower up with my engine crane.and dump it out. clean it all up afterwards or...definitely NO: thanks again for the help bob scharp

Attached Images   

Last edited by bsa_bob2; 11-05-17 at 05:40 AM. Reason: more things to check
Old 11-05-17, 09:17 AM
My DEERE LX175 IS 21 YEARS OLD NOT 14 AS SAID BEFORE I had no idea this mower was so clogged up. Now Power wash monday~~~~~ raining cats and dogs in lower Michigan

Attached Images     
Old 11-07-17, 12:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think you found your problem.

Old 11-07-17, 03:24 PM
YES.....I hope and believe i did.I powerwashed after soaking all night. You oughta see it now. I think. as i have had a little oil drip .The past 21 years, after i bought it,The band clamps on the short rubber oil tube connector were tightened half way each one of them. S a slow drip catching grass clippings for that long of period?. I painted the deck- replaced the The fan.It was really sloppy and loose..I cleaned everything bottom and top. put it back together and see what happens.Should be good to go ThankYou all who helped me with tips. I won't wait that long again to take it apart btw what does this free spinning fan do.if you get bacck soon thanks again bob scharp btwthe absober is still good and no rusty levers no nothing on top of the trans

Old 11-07-17, 04:23 PM
btw what does this free spinning fan do.
If you mean the free spinning fan on top of your Hydro...it means it has broke the dowel pins or however it attaches to the pulley. It should only spin with the input pulley.

Old 11-07-17, 04:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The fan shouldn't be free spinning, it should be locked to the pulley on top of the trans and turn the input shaft. If it is spinning freely, something is wrong. The pulley should also not be wobbly, if it is, replace it. It has splines and over time gets loose on the shaft and eventually slips.

Edit: Looks like BFH and I were typing a reply at the same time

Old 11-07-17, 04:25 PM

This Fan?

Old 11-07-17, 04:27 PM
cheese

Old 11-08-17, 06:57 AM
Free spinning------ I used the wrong word description that time. Its all good now.

Old 11-08-17, 07:01 AM
Whats its basic purpose? No shroud around it? bob s

Old 11-08-17, 04:14 PM
It's a tranny cooler

Old 11-09-17, 11:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep. If it had a shroud, the blades would be torn off in no time with the sticks and stuff that end up in that area.

Old 11-11-17, 03:22 PM
thank you all for your generous help. My J.D is back on line. In new paint and a very clean "under fender". Seems much much-better although she does stop at a jerk. abit Everything else about this problem is all good . bob s

Old 11-12-17, 12:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
These things do stop hard, when you release the pedal it should come to an abrupt stop. I've seen them even skid a little if you let off the pedal quickly. I think yours was caked up and not moving freely, so you've gotten used to it not stopping like that and now that it's cleaned up and working well, you're seeing what it should be doing. Glad you got it straightened out.

Old 11-13-17, 05:07 AM
thank you for hanging in this problem with me. Cheese! see ya next time around bob scharp