Lawn tractor backfires when starting

Old 11-04-17, 12:12 PM
Lawn tractor backfires when starting

I have a Craftsman DLT 3000 18.5 hp., model 917.273811. Often (not always) when I try to start it, it just tries to turn over then backfires. It doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold. It does it randomly. I adjusted the valves, put new gas in it, new plug and it still does it. The valves are set at .006 intake and .010 exhaust. That is the recommendation from the Chilton manual for small Briggs and Stratton engines up to 20 hp. I looked up the 18.5 and set them accordingly. I might also add that that's the setting I've always used and it's ran fine before. I gapped the plug at .030 according to the Craftsman manual. I assumed it was from gas fumes still in the carburetor. It's probably due for a new battery (on the list for next spring), could that be the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-17, 12:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it turns over very slowly from a low battery, it may be prone to backfire. If the battery needs replacing, it may be best to just go ahead and do that and see if the problem persists.

Old 11-05-17, 07:14 AM
I suppose they won't be any cheaper in the spring and I still have a ton of leaves to pick up yet.
Thanks
George

Old 11-16-17, 08:01 PM
Backfire

I have a Kohler 16hp that developed a biackfire along with some carburetor issues after it had been stored for awhile. Seafoam cleaned out the carb and after two more backfires it went back to normal. I can't give you a smoking gun, but you might try the
Seafoam too, It has made me a believer....

Old 11-21-17, 07:17 AM
This thing does anything but sit, Cheese was right (as usual LOL ) it needed a new battery. I was trying to dodge that bullet until spring. Saw no point in letting it sit all winter wasting 6 months of warranty. I sucked 4 years out of the one in there so it doesn't owe me a dime. First time I've ever had to throw it on the charger too. It's a Diehard and it lives up to the name well.

Last edited by Home wrecker; 11-21-17 at 07:18 AM. Reason: added something
Old 11-21-17, 03:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it fixed
Thanks for the update.