Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to remove rear tire on older White Lawn Tractor

11-14-17, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)  
How to remove rear tire on older White Lawn Tractor

I have been searching everywhere to find out how to remove a rear tire from my old White lawn tractor. The information I have been finding leads me to believe it is a MTD tire, but the tire itself doesnt have a bolt in the middle and has 4 square holes around the outside.

Any help is greatly appreciated, would like to get it fixed before the snow flies here in upstate NY!

Attached is a photo of the rim.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links

VT

11-14-17, 10:54 AM   #2 (permalink)  
I can't quite make it out in your photo; but there appears to be a Snap Ring or a Spring Clip at the end of the axle, in a groove. If it's a Snap Ring, you'll need a special pliers to spread it for removal..

Where my mowers use a clip for wheel retention, it's usually an "E" Clip.

Last edited by Vermont; 11-14-17 at 11:59 AM. Reason: spelling

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-14-17, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Should be a clip, then the wheel slides off the axle... in theory. I've had to cut some off. When they are too bad, I leave the rim on the axle and just change the tire or install tube while it's on the machine.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

11-14-17, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)  
The clip seems to be welded in or maybe just rusted, I will see what I can do, thanks!

CT

11-14-17, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)  
I am assuming you want to remove the wheel from the axle versus changing the tire on the rim. If there are no visible means of how the rim is retained on the axle (spring clip, c clip, roll pin, pinch bolt, etc.) is it possible the rim hub and axle are threaded? I think it would be a left handed thread to prevent loosening when going forward. I have removed a rim rusted to the axle. I first drilled a through hole (large enough to accept a reciprocating saw metal blade) just above the hub. Then using a reciprocating saw with metal blade, patience and lots of oil for the blades I was able to cut a slot in the hub down to the axle. After driving a wedge into the slot, I was able to remove the wheel. I used an U type exhaust clamp to reattach the split hub to the axle. Hope this helps.

MI

11-14-17, 02:47 PM   #6 (permalink)  
I had an ale off of something that looked exactly like that, setting around in the back corner of my barn for the past 10 years or so, I guess thinking that I might use it for a cart or something, but that never happened. I can't remember whose lawn mower it came off of or how they treated it, but do know that it sat under roof, out of the weather, since I had it, so it wasn't a big pile of rust. Anyway, a couple of months ago I decided it had been there long enough that I could move it to my scrap metal pile, so started breaking it down. Even knowing it was scrap I couldn't get it apart. I beat on it, tried PB Blaster, tried some heat, and finally just took the tires off the hubs and tossed the rest of it in the scrap metal pile as it was. I never did find a practical solution to offer you. but can say most assuredly that they are buggers to get off the axle.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-15-17, 02:26 AM   #7 (permalink)  
It won't be threaded on, I'm sure it slides on a keyway. The clip will have to come off but if it's rusted that badly, the wheel may be nearly impossible to remove. I've had them cherry red hot with an acetylene torch and it wouldn't come off with an actual jackhammer. I've also had the clip that holds the axle inside the transmission come off and the entire axle slides out... then you have problems for sure.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread