Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toro HMR running issue

OH

11-16-17, 07:58 AM   #1  
Toro HMR running issue

I posted this question awhile ago concerning a 1989 HMR with a 16hp Kohler Command twin. You guys suggested probably a carb problem and suggested using SEAFOAM. I don't know what is in that stuff but it worked on getting the engine to throttle up and down, and the one jet adjustment will affect the operation now. The SEAFOAM must be a better solvent and kicked out some grit that was clogging a small orifice somewhere, On that same post I told you that I had also developed a backfire on starting that I didn't have before. I still have that issue. Im thinking that only two things could cause that. One is that the flyweel key would have to have been moved to affect the timing, and two is that a valve dropped out of adjustment. Is there
anything else that might do that? BTW the liquid graphite made a world of difference in the starting motor engagement, now I have to get rid of the darn backfire....

Sponsored Links

IA

11-16-17, 02:54 PM   #2  
You've adjusted the valves twice now and still have the backfire?

Any misalignment of the flywheel key can cause problems. Doesn't hurt to check it.

OH

11-16-17, 07:47 PM   #3  
HMR Running Issue

Engine Started fine today. go figure....gunfire last night...good to go now. back to the oil pressure light on the Simplicity.

Have a good thanksgiving day!

Search this Thread