Briggs vanguard 16 hp engine firing on 1 cylinder

Old 12-03-17, 08:14 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Briggs vanguard 16 hp engine firing on 1 cylinder

Hi,
I bought a John Deere LT166 last week. Wasn’t running when I got it. Turns over good, has 120 lbs compression on both cylinders. Wasn’t getting spark, so I pulled the shroud off. Wire that goes from 1 coil to the other had been chewed by mice. Replaced the wire with a new one. Now I get spark on cylinder number 1 and no spark on cylinder 2. If I unhook the wire from cylinder 2, it has spark. When I hook the wire back up to cylinder 2, no spark. Engine model numbers are 303777 1147-E1. Not sure what I am missing in figuring this out.

Thank you,
Cory

Old 12-03-17, 01:37 PM
M
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
With the two coil jobs that is usually the diode in the kill circuit. Disconnect the kill wire from each coil and see if the problem corrects. If it does, replace the diode or the kill wiring harness with the diode in it.

Keep in mind with this testing you'll have to choke the engine to kill it.

Old 12-03-17, 03:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 49 Posts
Correct... that was more than just a wire going from one coil to the other, it has diodes in it. Without that, it won't work right.

Old 12-03-17, 05:22 PM
H
I replaced the wire with the correct one from John Deere. It has the diodes built in it.

Old 12-03-17, 05:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 49 Posts
Try reversing the wire to reverse the polarity. If it still doesn't work, get an ohmmeter and check the diode(s).

Old 04-29-19, 04:59 PM
E
Hello, I have a 22 hp v twin Briggs and Stratton that was driving me nuts. It is several years old but not used heavily. It started running rough so I figured it was time for a carb as it would only run with the choke full on and seemed way down on power. Instead of messing with a clean and rebuild, I went for a new one. I put it on and didn't see any difference. So I dug deeper, and changed the plugs again, no change. Replaced the fuel pump, and fuel lines. Did nothing.

I noticed one cylinder was not running by pulling off one wire. It would get a spark but the plug was fouled. I thought maybe a bad or weak coil. I replaced it. Didn't do anything. I checked compression and it was 120 on both cylinders. I adjusted the valves and they appeared to be working properly but no change. Now I am really scratching my head. I noticed a thread from a while back that had exactly the same experience I did. He rebuilt the carb was the only difference. Finally resolved his issue by putting a different carb on it. Now I was thinking it has to be fuel. I just pulled the new carb off and opened it up and was checking for any blockage and when inspecting the jets I noticed one was nearly completely blocked by a tiny sliver of the same plastic the float was made out of. I cleared the jet, the rest looked like a new carb, put it back together and BINGO! Finally it runs again.

All that work and a darn piece of plastic from the factory that managed to get hung in one jet. I don't know if this helps but my problem was carb all along. Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: