Briggs vanguard 16 hp engine firing on 1 cylinder

Old 12-03-17, 08:14 AM
Briggs vanguard 16 hp engine firing on 1 cylinder

Hi,
I bought a John Deere LT166 last week. Wasn’t running when I got it. Turns over good, has 120 lbs compression on both cylinders. Wasn’t getting spark, so I pulled the shroud off. Wire that goes from 1 coil to the other had been chewed by mice. Replaced the wire with a new one. Now I get spark on cylinder number 1 and no spark on cylinder 2. If I unhook the wire from cylinder 2, it has spark. When I hook the wire back up to cylinder 2, no spark. Engine model numbers are 303777 1147-E1. Not sure what I am missing in figuring this out.

Thank you,
Cory

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-17, 01:37 PM
With the two coil jobs that is usually the diode in the kill circuit. Disconnect the kill wire from each coil and see if the problem corrects. If it does, replace the diode or the kill wiring harness with the diode in it.

Keep in mind with this testing you'll have to choke the engine to kill it.

Old 12-03-17, 03:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Correct... that was more than just a wire going from one coil to the other, it has diodes in it. Without that, it won't work right.

Old 12-03-17, 05:22 PM
I replaced the wire with the correct one from John Deere. It has the diodes built in it.

Old 12-03-17, 05:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try reversing the wire to reverse the polarity. If it still doesn't work, get an ohmmeter and check the diode(s).