Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Canadian Gas Cans?

Group Moderator

NC

12-06-17, 07:55 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Canadian Gas Cans?

Here in the USA we are cursed with California's environmental push which requires spill proof, child proof fuel nozzles on portable containers. The US has followed California's lead and we can only legally buy these annoying spouts. These nozzles are a major PITA if fueling anything larger than a trimmer and I'm often fueling excavators & tractors that take multiple cans.

Are Canadian fuel can nozzles the same? Does Canada still have the old fashioned style where you pull the cap off the nozzle and open the vent to pour fuel? I'm traveling to Alberta in January and wonder if I should plan time to go shopping for fuel nozzles.

I am hoping to find spouts that look like these:

Yes, I have tried the EZ Pour replacement spouts. Unfortunately they are $11 - $14 and I've had hit or miss results with them.

Sponsored Links

TN

12-06-17, 08:08 AM   #2 (permalink)  
Have you thought about removing the spout and using a large funnel? Seems this would make the job go faster.

Amazon has the metal funnels and also replacement spouts.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-06-17, 08:14 AM   #3 (permalink)  
I use a large funnel when fueling my tractor. Not as handy as the spout on the old style cans but it does help.
I've spilt more gas since they've come out with those stupid nozzles than I ever did before

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Forum Topic Moderator

NE

12-06-17, 08:19 AM   #4 (permalink)  
We were recently forced to get a new metal gas can for our congregation lawn mower... It's a metal can with some sort of spring loaded pull back. Of all the "safety" kinds that I have used, it's probably the best. But still a pain in the neck compared to the good old days.

Super Moderator

CANADA

12-06-17, 08:50 AM   #5 (permalink)  
Canadian portable fuel tank nozzles are like # 6 from left to right.
The small vent hole has been replaced with a straw molded into the nozzle as a vent but it does not work well.
I don't agree that that is a good thing to do but i have heard of ppl modifying these tanks with :a home made vent solution.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

NY

12-06-17, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)  
I tell customers who are looking to buy a new gas can to use a funnel and if and when they go to a garage sale and see the old fashion metal cans, buy it. The thing that bothers me is the spring loaded spouts are very tight especially when new and many small engine gas tanks are plastic. If you need to press hard enough to open that spout, you may snap off the tank.

And as PD mentions, a better and easier can can cost big bucks.

CAL

12-06-17, 09:59 AM   #7 (permalink)  
Try looking on Amazon for EZ-Pour brand fillers, Blitz is anothe one that I think you would find workable.

MD

12-06-17, 10:37 AM   #8 (permalink)  
I have a couple of the No Spill brand gas cans. Instead of having to push the spout into the gas tank to have it flow, it works like one of the big orange water coolers, with a push button spout. For things like my generator, I can just put the gas can on top of it, with the spout over the filler hole, and press the button. They still lack a vent hole, so it's slow, but at least I'm not standing there holding the can trying to keep the spout shoved in.

Group Moderator

NC

12-06-17, 11:10 AM   #9 (permalink)  
Ron53: I think Blitz went bankrupt and out of business about 5 years ago. And in my original post I mentioned already trying EZ Pour with mixed results.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

12-06-17, 12:23 PM   #10 (permalink)  
I agree on the push button style. It's the only safety type spout we have at the shop that I have not thrown out. Also as mentioned it comes out at 90 degrees so in most cases it is quite ergonomic.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

CAL

12-06-17, 12:32 PM   #11 (permalink)  
Blitz went bankrupt and out of business about 5 years ago
I didn't know that, anyway their stuff can still be found on Fleabay, there are also Gott Kits available.

Super Moderator

AZ

12-06-17, 01:22 PM   #12 (permalink)  
Oh come on guys...this is a DIY site! You're telling me no one has "repaired with slight modifications" their spouts? I sure have. Amazing what can be done with a soldering iron, various sizes of fuel line, some epoxy, some hose clamps, a small plastic fuel filter housing, and a razor knife.

Every freebie pile I see after a yard sale, it sees like there's a gas can missing a spout. So, in the truck it goes and I'll just use a cap when I fill it. Funny thing is, I don't have a single gas engine tool. Its just for when the fuel prices are down and I'm getting 60-70 cents off for points. Maybe thats why I only get gas every 2 months or so.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

MI

12-06-17, 01:51 PM   #13 (permalink)  
I still have two old but good jerry cans that I use for regular gas, and they're pretty hard to beat. I made a new set of gaskets for them a few years ago, and noticed some cracks starting to show up on one of them a few weeks ago, so will probably make some more gaskets over the winter and be in good shape. Only thing is that I typically only fill them to about 4-1/2 gallons a piece any more, but that's me, not the cans. Had to retire one of my one gallon cans for 2-stroke fuel a few years ago though and share your disdain of these darn new ones. The first one I got was really bad, had it long enough to refill it maybe 3 or 4 times before a spring popped out and I had to go the funnel route. The two I go to replace it and my remaining older one gallon cans seem to be faring better though, as they're well through one year, and maybe a couple of years. These newest ones are made different, with a nib on the spout that grabs the neck on the tank, and no sign of an external spring.

MD

12-06-17, 02:04 PM   #14 (permalink)  
LOL @Gunguy. I can't even legally buy the EZ-Pour in my state. I'd probably wind up in prison for a felony if I modified any of my current ones.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-06-17, 02:15 PM   #15 (permalink)  
this is a DIY site! You're telling me no one has "repaired with slight modifications" their spouts?
Obviously you've not looked at my collection of gas cans I had to modify the spouts on my old cans [larger diameter spout] so I can still use them. My tractor gets filled with a funnel so I don't bother with a spout when filling it. The spout on my 2 gallon non ethanol can broke [honest I didn't do it] the top half slides right off where there is no restriction [still miss the vent] and my chainsaw can was modified so it will pour normally.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Forum Topic Moderator

NC

12-06-17, 03:25 PM   #16 (permalink)  
There are some U Tube videos of modifying Gas cans. I was going to do till I lent the can, Never came back, So much for helping a neighbor.

Group Moderator

NC

12-06-17, 03:48 PM   #17 (permalink)  
Yes, I've "hacked" all of my fuel cans. The child safety features are the first to go. Then I either install a vent from a EZ Pour kit or use a car tire valve stem. The one area I haven't perfected is some sort of cap for the spout. Most of my cans spend their life outside so I want to keep dirt and insects out of the spout.

TN

12-07-17, 07:10 AM   #18 (permalink)  
A length of tubing with a wooden plug should make an adequate cap for the spout.

MA

12-07-17, 08:00 AM   #19 (permalink)  
gas can

You would think that with technology of today, that some "intelligent" person would come up with something more efficient and easier to handle

Group Moderator

NC

12-07-17, 09:03 AM   #20 (permalink)  
The thing is the old style nozzles and separate vent worked quite well and were inexpensive. Now that they require child resistance, and valves they are pathetic to fill anything larger than a weed-eater and have doubled in cost.

MI

12-07-17, 09:50 AM   #21 (permalink)  
Menards has a replacement spout that claims to fit 90% of fuel cans. I don't know if that's true but if you have several cans you don't like it'll probably make one of them usable.

It's the only one I've found that I like. Sort of. I wish the cap snapped onto some other part of the spout rather than the attached keeper that just gets in the way.
Having that vent (snaps into 1/2" drilled hole) makes all the difference.

Attached Images

Group Moderator

NC

12-07-17, 11:54 AM   #22 (permalink)  
Darn, I was just up in Milwaukee and didn't even think to check Menards. Who knows when I'll be in their territory again.

TN

12-07-17, 12:05 PM   #23 (permalink)  
Maybe an on-line order?.....................

NH

12-08-17, 05:25 AM   #24 (permalink)  
A lot of spouts that come with gas cans, including with a lot of Blitzes, are much too short and you canot get all the gas out of the can.Suggest getting a spout at least 12 inches (30 cm) long.

A lot of spouts that come with gas cans, including with a lot of Blitzes, leak at the can neck unless you screw them on with tremendous force (much more than the force allowed to attach electrical wires to terminal screws or attach anchors to hold smoke detectors or pictures on walls).

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-08-17 at 05:55 AM.

Group Moderator

NC

12-08-17, 05:31 AM   #25 (permalink)  
Guy48605 what is the name of the spout you pictured from Menards? I've tried searching their website and am unable to find it.

MN

12-08-17, 06:01 AM   #26 (permalink)  
His "Menards" is a link, click on it.

TN

12-08-17, 07:38 AM   #27 (permalink)  
Or search "replacement spout" in the Menards search box.

MI

12-08-17, 07:51 AM   #28 (permalink)  
I noticed that too--"gas can spout" or "fuel can spout" didn't find it.

MI

12-08-17, 08:05 AM   #29 (permalink)  
Another idea...This summer, after dribbling gas in the lake each time I filled the tank on my boat, I bought one of those cheap battery-powered fuel transfer pumps off Amazon. It's a little slow but it's effortless and now I don't have to reach from the dock to the boat while hefting a 5-G can and watching the fuel level in an opaque tank.
It's also great for getting most of the old fuel OUT of a tank for seasonal storage.

MN

12-08-17, 08:39 AM   #30 (permalink)  
Menards has a replacement spout that claims to fit 90% of fuel cans.

Fits most plastic cans
Provides easy pour at any angle
Push-in vent; cap faster and empty safer
This item is not for sale to these states: CA

I notice it shows two collars (?) that screw on the can. Could that be one to fit the older cans and one for new ones with a smaller diameter? If that's so I'm gonna get me a couple.

One time my son borrowed by boat and bought one of the fancy new cans. Well, when he returned he told me there are a few pieces inside my tank from the spout, you'll have to fish them out.

CAL

12-08-17, 01:02 PM   #31 (permalink)  
I was able to get to the confirmation page, just didn't order it so not sure if this would work or be able to be shipped to US.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DM8YKOFZ&psc=1

Also found this, but I think you need a CAN postal code.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/25l-gas-can/6000134546337

Doesn't have the best reviews.

And there's this

https://rotopax.com/fuelspout/

Last edited by Tumble; 12-08-17 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Found More

Super Moderator

AZ

12-08-17, 04:33 PM   #32 (permalink)  
I'm never really in a hurry (as I said, no small engines), so I just set the full can on top of my 90gal trash can pulled close and then use a 8' long 3/8" or 1/4" clear poly hose to siphon into the vehicle. Clear and long so that I can see the fuel long before it get's close to my end. Never put any in unless below 1/2 tank, so no overflow worries. Come back 20 min later and all done.

Lot easier than hoisting 5-6 gal can and holding it in place. Esp with one busted shoulder, one repaired shoulder and a thumb thats numb. Wouldn't work for a tractor or super-lifted truck of course...lol. I do have one spout, but I use the blockoff caps 95% of the time.

Vic

12-08-17, 06:04 PM   #33 (permalink)  
TSC carries a spout kit and probably some other stores.

Super Moderator

AZ

12-08-17, 06:58 PM   #34 (permalink)  
Wally World has one, but it's that stupid catch the edge of the tank type and only fits the cans they sell. TSC does indeed have some, a single maker (theirs!) fit spout and then for roughly double they have the EZ Pour kits, which some people say don't last...dunno if thats true. If I was getting one it would be the solid bent plastic spout, but it seems those no longer exist except on new cans with all the junk on them.

So who lives closest to Canada? Feel like partnering on a US illegal replacement fuel can spout smuggling ring? I hear the smuggling of NC cigarettes to NYC isn't so good anymore...... Lol

Vic

CAL

12-08-17, 10:37 PM   #35 (permalink)  
What are the odds, filling up the tractor today and....spout cracked on mine. Went to TSC on Walleye suggestion (it showed on website) picked the one up and it doesn't fit just a smidge too small.

So I ordered one of these, the measurement are exact same as mine. My spout is yellow, these look either clear or white. These also have a gasket around the base, mine doesn't. Maybe it did when I got the tank eons ago.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/181828197531

Either way I'll let you know how it work out. Fingers crossed.

CT

12-09-17, 11:32 AM   #36 (permalink)  
if you dont mind breaking the law, EBAY and SPORTMEN's guide had military issue jerry cans.dont know they still have any. the NATO ones have a locking cap, can be stored on their side and best of all, have a non EPA filler spout.
just watch out for cheap knockoffs. make sure it is military issue. any NATO military is fine.
unless you dont mind buying walmart quality Chinese made products.
when the EPA ones first came out, i could not figure out how to pour it into a lawn mower with out spilling, and pour into a car was impossible. so the first one i had i just ripped the guts out of it. turned the spout into a hollow tube.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 12-09-17 at 03:57 PM. Reason: changed language to proper terminology removed political comments.

Search this Thread