Briggs 6.25 L head starts on starting fluid then shuts off after 3 seconds.

Old 12-07-17, 10:49 AM
Briggs 6.25 L head starts on starting fluid then shuts off after 3 seconds.

This is on a Billy Goat leaf sweeper. It will start with starting fluid but them stops. I first thought carb so I cleaned it and changed the needle and seat and cleaned the bowl nut. It was overfilled with oil so I drained some out to get to the proper level and changed the spark plug. I changed the gas filter as well. Have good gas flow from the tank. Sprayed starter fluid in spark plug hole and it started and stopped. I am now thinking a compression issue. I have not done a compression or leak down test however they are next on the list. I dont remember if this engine has the pressed in valve seats or not. Please comment.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-17, 11:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does it have a fuel shutoff solenoid?

Old 12-07-17, 12:35 PM
No, it does not. This engine is typically found on a push mower. Only thing different is that it may have a tapered crank. Thank you for your response.

Old 12-07-17, 03:12 PM
Do you have fuel in the bowl when you remove it? If so then you still have a restriction in the carb or a massive intake leak..... can you shoot starter fluid in the carb and get it to fire?

Old 12-07-17, 05:00 PM
Since I find no engine numbers posted I will guess, the nut holding the bowl on the carb is the main jet it has a hole across the bottom and one down the center, I clean them with the wire from a twist tie. So simply clamp off the fuel line, remove the bolt(1/2 in) clean the holes and reassemble. Have a good one. Geo

Old 12-08-17, 04:44 AM
There is fuel in the bowl when I remove it. Yes, the engine will start if I shoot starting fluid into the carb. It is a briggs engine. I have cleaned the bowl nut. In fact, yesterday, I installed a good serviceable carb and had the same results.

Old 12-09-17, 03:48 PM
This engine does have the pressed in seats. I think it is a 123K02-0258-E1. I will pull the head off tomorow after a leak down or compression test. It snowed here all day and that is why I did not do anything in the shop. I have had this model engine in before and this is usually the problem. It does not seem to have much compression. I hope I find the intake seat out of its home.

Old 12-09-17, 04:36 PM
If it fires at all I still bet it to be vacuum rather than compression. IE: intake leak

Old 12-09-17, 05:15 PM
The bowl nut (main jet) is still dirty. Have a good one. Geo
http://rs190.pbsrc.com/albums/z120/g...inJet.jpg~c100

Old 12-09-17, 06:36 PM
Group Moderator
If you have taken the bowl off, did you happen to pay attention to how the bowl was oriented? You might have turned it. If the bowl has a deep side, the deep side of the bowl needs to be turned to match the side opposite the needle. The float hangs down on one side when the bowl is off, and that is the side the deep part of the bowl should turned toward.

Old 12-11-17, 07:54 AM
The correct engine model is 122M02-2114-F1. Sorry for any confusion. I did a compression test and got 30psi. I will do a leak down test next. FYI this engine also has the pressed in valve seats. The leak down test will point me in the correct direction.

Briggs engine typically do not have the step in the fuel bowl.

Geo - I will check/clean the bowl nut again.

Old 12-11-17, 11:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn't get too caught up in a leakdown test. Go after the carburetor and related. A compression test won't tell you much on this, but it starting up on starter fluid does.

Old 12-11-17, 12:53 PM
Well, the leak down test did not show any noticeable loss of compression - maybe a little air out of the muffler but that was it. Between this and the compression test, I felt comfortable compression was OK. With that in mind, I pulled the carburetor and put the original back on the unit. I checked the rubber o ring seal very closely and it looked a little flat to me. I put a new o ring seal on, bolted up the carb sprayed some starting fluid and it started. I held my hand over the end of the carb like I was choking it and she picked up the gas and ran. I let it tun for a good 10 minutes. I shut it off and let it rest. Tried to start it - no go. I put the air filter housing back on and tried to prime it - no go !!. It was not priming. I then used the ole tape and double gasket trick and now it was priming. I started it a couple of times. You have to push the primer at least 7 times however it will start and run, I am done for the day. If it starts in the morning, I will deliver it. Thanks everyone for your help.

Old 12-11-17, 12:56 PM
This was a Billy Goat KV600 with a briggs 6.25 hp L head engine 122M02-2114.