looking to buy a small chainsaw?/

Old 08-20-16, 05:18 AM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
looking to buy a small chainsaw?/

I bought a poulan 2 years ago. But my arms are getting older and a small saw is in order. What do you reccomend.....disclaimer . I hold noone responsible! if i buy the wrong thing .....just me.So jump in and share with me. I want a 12" if i can little bigger if necessary thanks agai n for the help bob s

ps i have gift certificates for Craftsman saws i can use.

Old 08-20-16, 05:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It is going to depend on what you are cutting. Large trees call for a longer bar and a more powerful, yet heavier engine. Trimming limbs can be done with a lightweight 10" bar and light saw. Since you have Craftsman certificates, you'd be good to look at what they have to offer with your potential uses in mind.

Old 08-20-16, 05:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
You didn't mention a budget, but pro brands (Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, etc) has a small saw called an arborist saw. They are light weight and the handle is over the motor instead of behind it so it changes the balance. Pros use them when up in a tree for delimbing. You can even use them with one hand. (not recommended) Bad side: they are about $300

Old 08-20-16, 06:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
For a cheap saw I like my Poulan with a 14" bar. It cuts decent and doesn't weigh near as much as my Husqvarna which my old back appreciates. It costs a little over $100.

Old 08-20-16, 06:26 AM
To add. I have a rather large Poulan countervibe bow saw that I use once the tree is down, I use a 16" Poulan for felling the trees and a small Skil 10" my dad used to delimb the trees. So really it will boil down to budget, capabilities, physical limitations of the operator.

Old 08-20-16, 06:27 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Where will you be using this saw? If you are within 100 feet of electrical power then an electric saw may be just the ticket. I have an old Remington "Limb & Trim" with a 14 or 16 inch bar and it has done everything I have ever asked of it, including cutting tree trunks over 20 inches in diameter.

Electric saws can be almost as fast as a gasoline saw and require minimal maintenance, no gasoline, no engine oil or mixed gasoline and are generally lighter in weight than a gasoline saw.

Old 08-20-16, 07:00 AM
Has anyone had any experience with the pole trimming saws? Just curious, as it seems they would be a safe method to keep you from climbing a tree to trim a limb.

Old 08-20-16, 07:37 AM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I like the pole saws. Only used electric, so the motor is at the saw end. They get a bit difficult to manage the balance fully extended, but they work well, unless its a really tall tree

Old 08-20-16, 08:30 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Pole Saw

I have an electric pole saw. The pole telescopes. The saw mounting bracket to the pole is offset to one side rather than being centered. This makes the saw difficult to handle when the pole is fully extended. The saw wants to rotate counter-clockwise.

My first chainsaw was a 14 in. gas Homelite. It was handy for limbing. Do not know if this model is available now.

Old 08-20-16, 09:47 AM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
thank you again fellas for your help. Man! i gotta lota beers to buy -if i see you in the pub somewhere haha bob s really though. Thanks a million to you guys here on this great forum bob s

Old 12-25-17, 08:05 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with the pole trimming saws?

I've got a 16' Stihl gas pole saw and it's great but heavy and when fully extended gets a little top heavy, definitly not a light weight unit the OP is looking for.

I used to have a small electric chain saw when I lived in the great wilds of suburban CA (1/5 acre lot) believe it was a 12" black and decker and it was very light weight weight and cut pretty good.

Old 12-25-17, 08:08 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I never did see a reply to the question what are you using it for, yes I know you trying to cut wood, but there's far more to it then that.
Cutting just a once a year limb that falls in the yard, clearing a lot off, cutting cords of firewood?
As mentioned a 12" or longer bar requires a bigger heavy saw.
Not enough CC's and the saw will be stalling out in the middle of the log.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: