John Deere ride-on mower losing cutting power

Old 12-06-17, 04:10 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
John Deere ride-on mower losing cutting power

I have an old LX 176 riding mower. I have replaced almost every part, now it looses power in the blades to cut even moderate length grass.
The only belt I have not replaced is the one to the cutting deck. It looks in good condition, could it stretch?
I have now also ordered a new PTO clutch, thinking it may have lost strength putting the power to the blades?
Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Cheers
John

Old 12-06-17, 05:18 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Check the pulleys along the belts travel to see if they are worn, if the belts bottom out they lose their effectiveness, vbelts should not touch the bottom of the pulley. Have a good one. Geo

Old 12-07-17, 06:24 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Geogrubb's suggestion is good but the same condition exists for worn pulleys or worn belt on the deck, Being pulleys are steel and the belt is rubber. I would start by changing the belt. If the belt tensioner on either the drive or deck belt is at its travel limit, its time to change that belt.

Old 12-11-17, 02:09 PM
J
Originally Posted by beelzebob
Geogrubb's suggestion is good but the same condition exists for worn pulleys or worn belt on the deck, Being pulleys are steel and the belt is rubber. I would start by changing the belt. If the belt tensioner on either the drive or deck belt is at its travel limit, its time to change that belt.
Thanks. I am going to order the belt from the motor to the blades. After all it is the only one left to change. However there is no tensioner here. I will see about the condition of the pulley too.
Thanks again.

Old 12-11-17, 04:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
It does have a tensioner. The double stack pulley at the back of the deck is spring loaded. There is a rod on the side of the deck that you move to release the tension on it so it can be changed.

You ordered a new PTO clutch? That was expensive... sounds like you don't need it, I would send that back and put a new $25 belt on it.

Old 12-21-17, 03:25 AM
J
Well the PTO has been playing up, and it is the last part, almost that has not been changed.
We were looking at getting a new one (mower), if we can get two more years out of it, so here goes.
Thanks for you help.
John

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: