Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Blower recoil hard to pull after storage prep.

CT

12-22-17, 08:40 PM   #1  
Blower recoil hard to pull after storage prep.

I used my Husqvarna 150bt backpack blower for the last time of the season, emptied the remaining gas, and ran it to empty. After letting it cool, I added a spoonful of 2-stroke oil at the spark plug and tried pulling the recoil cord to circulate the oil. Something I've done with all my equipment for years.

Suddenly I couldn't pull the cord. I removed the recoil unit and it looked fine. I was able to easily pull it while off the blower. I was able to manually turn the blower, as well. I reattached the recoil unit and found it could turn but with difficulty.

Thoughts, please.

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

12-22-17, 10:59 PM   #2  
Are you saying it was hard to pull with the plug in or out? I don't have an answer for you...just wanted to clarify.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-22-17, 11:14 PM   #3  
If you put oil in there and then put the plug back in, it won't be able to crank over easily if at all. Oil is not compressible.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CT

12-23-17, 04:41 AM   #4  
Are you saying it was hard to pull with the plug in or out? I don't have an answer for you...just wanted to clarify.
If you put oil in there and then put the plug back in, it won't be able to crank over easily if at all. Oil is not compressible.
Right on point. I usually lay the spark plug in to stop any oil from gurgling out - which never really happens. I must have turned the spark plug in slightly and it made the pull difficult. Going forward I'll just use a rag.

Having said that, why did the spark plug impact the recoil / compression?

Group Moderator

NC

12-23-17, 04:56 AM   #5  
Ordinarily there is air and fuel vapor inside the cylinder (above the piston) which can be compressed as the piston rises. The oil you put on top of the piston is not compressible. With the spark plug in place the piston tries to come up but it hits the un-compressible oil like it was a solid object. The same thing can happen if liquid fuel.

Just remove the spark plug and pour the oil out and pull the cord a few times to blow out excess oil. Reinstall the plug and try starting.

Search this Thread