Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda EB7000I No Sparky

12-28-17, 03:58 AM   #1  
Honda EB7000I No Sparky

So I have the Honda EB7000I and itís got a no spark issues the shop where I am getting it fixed called me today. They have traced and tested every thing up to the control assembly part number 34110-z11-e03 itís basically the entire imontior is what they are thinking itís out. The part is around 400$ and I hate to just throw parts at a problem I have had little success finding a used one. My thoughts is how can that little unit or circuit make unit loose spark and does that even control spark. Any thoughts or ideas let me kno.

The shop did say they tested each part below that to my understanding coil,oil sensor and such.

Thanks for for Your time.

Sponsored Links

IA

12-28-17, 04:37 AM   #2  
Before I did all that I would go to the coil, trace the kill wire to the first juncture in the harness and disconnect it. With the coil isolated, try to start the engine or check for spark. No spark = bad coil.

There may be a problem elsewhere in the workings of the generator, but they should be able to get the engine started with the coil isolated.

Group Moderator

NC

12-28-17, 04:54 AM   #3  
I guess the issue is you are asking strangers on the Internet for detailed maintenance issues and you yourself are not working on the machine. You are just second guessing the "professional" because you don't like what they told you. If you don't trust them or their work take it to someone you do trust to check the simple, less expensive stuff first.

As for why can that control board cause a loss of spark or other problems... because it's the control board. It controls almost everything. Most modern appliances are controlled primarily by one main control board. If that board goes bad the appliance or machine does not function. Just like a human without a brain.

Depending on where you are located you can try to find a shop or individual that does circuit board repair. If it's something simple they may be able to find and fix the problem for a somewhat reasonable amount. Just know that simply finding the problem with the circuit board can take considerable time and they may simply say they can't find the problem or they may say you're better off just buying a new board.

Group Moderator

NJ

12-28-17, 11:03 AM   #4  
The is a Honda GCU. It controls all the functions of the generator. It has over 40 wiring connections on it. The spark coil is fired directly from that board so there is no way to fire the engine without that board.

There is no troubleshooting that generator without the full Honda service manual.
Since you have a business repairing that generator..... all parts must come from them. They wouldn't install a used board if they are guaranteeing their work.

~ Pete ~

IA

12-29-17, 03:26 AM   #5  
Pretty much why my refrigerator went to the landfill. $320.00 control board bad on a good frig. Control boards were backlogged.

That's still pretty expensive spark control on an engine with essentially a fixed load demand. I think I would call Honda on that one. The board should be the last thing to go, not at the front of the list.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

12-29-17, 05:41 AM   #6  
I have worked on similar units only as I was able to obtain a service manual and it is very specific about testing including the orientation of the ground terminal.

So? Which is it, did they "test and trace everything" OR are they "thinking" that is the problem???

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

12-29-17, 12:26 PM   #7  
They said they tested each piece or part up to that now wether or not they have a service manual is unknown

Group Moderator

NC

12-29-17, 02:08 PM   #8  
That is a very nice generator. Certainly worth spending the money on the control board if that's what it's going to take.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

12-29-17, 03:16 PM   #9  
That is about what the manual calls for, I think there are two plugs on that board and the test is to basically wring the harness out on the pins that send signals as well as resistance of the coil and a trigger.
I've had a couple in the shop the last couple of years and I know I have changed out one board. You might be able to find it cheaper through a Marine dealer...IIRC is where I got one and it was genuine Honda but only about 250...??? There is quite a bit of time involved getting inside that bugar too, there is no magical trap door you just open up....

As Pilot Dane mentioned they are good gennies, nice an quiet and dependable.

Peace

Group Moderator

NJ

12-29-17, 05:05 PM   #10  
@ marbobj..... keep in mind..... this is an inverter generator. Not a standard generator.

Let them put the board in. If that doesn't fix it you aren't liable for it. You can find the board at several place for $350 but you can't dictate where the servicing company buys it from. It's either they fix it or you fix it.

~ Pete ~

IA

12-29-17, 05:31 PM   #11  
I'm not an expert on either, Pete. Is there a reason to not use fixed timing, as in a module for ignition or is that coil being used for something other than ignition, Just curious.

Group Moderator

NJ

12-29-17, 05:53 PM   #12  
All these sensors and items connect directly to the GCU board with the exception of the starter battery power.

Name:  gcu2.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  47.9 KB

These are all the connections on the GCU board.
Name:  gcu1.JPG
Views: 90
Size:  74.7 KB

~ Pete ~

IA

12-29-17, 06:21 PM   #13  
From the looks of it, that is an emission compliant, fuel injected engine with ECU type of control. That's not a typical small engine. It's closer to being a Honda Civic than a Honda lawnmower.

I wonder if that has to do with it's work environment or just staying ahead on the technological side?

Thanks, Pete

Group Moderator

NJ

12-29-17, 07:30 PM   #14  
That is a very advanced generator. Very quiet and very reliable.
You're talking a generator that lists for $4K.

~ Pete ~

12-30-17, 02:36 AM   #15  
The eb7000 i is Pull start and has a carb on it it

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

12-30-17, 11:02 AM   #16  
The engine itself is not much different than most utility Honda engines, the rest of it gets.....busy.

There is a reason you find this listed in many Marine applications. I used to work on and service 30'-50' yachts and you will always find the generator stuffed in a hole so tight a rat could barely fit in. Marine just like Aviation, HAS to be reliable.

Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

12-30-17, 11:10 AM   #17  
They said they tested each piece or part up to that now wether or not they have a service manual is unknown
Other than inspecting the board for any obvious signs of components blown or burnt, solder trace broken etc. there is no other test for the board I know of. It is a process of elimination with solid state electronics.

Even testing the individual components, they can test good but be bad...if they test bad then is easy but resistance testing is not 100%.

There is a possible cheaper way to test and that is to replace the cheaper components with known good ones IE: coil, trigger.....however not many shops are likely to have those in stock either. I think the other components might amount to around 75 bux....

Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

12-30-17, 11:23 AM   #18  
All these sensors and items connect directly to the GCU board with the exception of the starter battery power.
What PJ posted is basically a wiring diagram if you could see a schematic of the GCU it would more than quadruple in size. No moving parts just silicon, solder and gremlins

Peace

12-30-17, 11:58 AM   #19  
I took a shot a ordered the part from some odd ball website that had the part listed for 43.99 specialanys.top itís like In bejing or something letís we if it actually comes... thank god I have purchase protection with my card

Group Moderator

NJ

12-30-17, 12:31 PM   #20  
I thought it was the iS version. It's the more basic i version. Still lists for $2.5K.
Same GCU but fewer connections used.
Name:  gen1.JPG
Views: 68
Size:  46.1 KB

Name:  gen2.JPG
Views: 64
Size:  38.3 KB

~ Pete ~

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

12-30-17, 01:36 PM   #21  
@ Pj
Any chance you can come up with a schematic for the board? :P

Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

12-30-17, 01:41 PM   #22  
If that fixes it great, however in my experience if it doesn't fix it, you may not have ruled that out as the problem. And for how long...??? Just sayin

Peace

12-30-17, 02:53 PM   #23  
Is their a cmos battery on that unit or a gcu fuse

Search this Thread