Ariens Snowblower issue

Old 01-02-18, 05:52 PM
Ariens Snowblower issue

I wanted to post this because I feel it could be safety issue you need to be aware of. Last winter I decided to spend the big bucks and buy a "quality" snowblower. Living in an area where we average 120+" annually, it was necessary because I got tired of having to constantly fix something on my 10 hp MTD snowblower. After using the new one a half of dozen times last year, it was put away until December this year. It performs great, starts immediately, and throws snow like crazy. I went out this morning and started to clear the 8" of overnight snow. I got about 1/2 way through the driveway and smelled gas. I shut it down and saw gas pouring from under the gas tank. I figured no big deal, a hose split. When I pulled the cover to look, the gas shut off valve itself was leaking. The retainer for the handle to turn it on/off is held on with two small rivets. One of them failed and drained the entire tank of fuel. There was no way to stop the flow. This could easily have caused a fire. My wife called the dealer we bought it from, and he said there is a three year warranty on it. I had to put it back together and am now waiting for him to pick it up, repair it, and bring it back. The only way it's covered is if they do it that way. Thankfully I still have the old MTD. The machine is an Ariens Platinum SHO 28. I could repair it myself for about $20 but I don't want to void the warranty.
When searching for a replacement part, most have screws holding the valve together. Why would they use cheap,crappy rivets?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-18, 03:42 AM
I know I'm sounding like a recorded message. But Arien's snow throwers are not quality units! They are living on an old reputation that has been tarnished for the past 20 years. They are no better than any unit at HD or Lowes that are just standing on the showroom floor for half the price. I've had several Arien's units. The old one's from 30 years ago or older were quality, but not anything since then. I've had to rebuild my transmission on several occasions. I've had fix many others for friends and relatives. Unless you buy a Cub Cadet or Troy built and pay the price $1000 and up, you're better off buying a cheap unit and expect 4 to 5 years use then buy another one.

Old 01-03-18, 08:39 AM
Troybilt is no longer the quality product they used to be. Have a good one. Geo

Old 01-03-18, 11:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Neither is Cub Cadet .

Old 01-03-18, 01:04 PM
What is the problem with Cub Cadet? I'm looking at one right now and may pass on it if there are known issues I am not aware of.

Old 01-03-18, 01:39 PM
MTD makes Craftsman, Cub Cadet, Remington, and Troy-Bilt snow blowers. The Husqvarna company makes units under the Husqvarna, Jonsered, and Poulan Pro brands. Ariens makes Ariens and Sno-Tek models.Dec 5, 2017

You be the judge.

How about a John Deer? But be prepared to pay the price.

Old 01-03-18, 03:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
MTD does not make Craftsman, they do make equipment FOR Craftsman but so does Husqvarna and others. 247......preceding the . in Craftsman model number indicates manufactured by MTD. 917 model number is Husqvarna.

I really can't advise much on snow throwers since I rarely see any and we do carry but hardly sell any. I have mainly seen Troy-bilt and MTD/Craftsman. I can't say of known issues other than cheap Chinese engines and Carbs. The ones I have seen do not even have MTD's cloned engine (Powermore) label but are basically the same.
There is no fuel shut off, the carb is a nightmare to get to if service is needed. While the fuel bowl has a drain on it, it only allows you to drain the entire tank of fuel through the carb. It requires both a choke and a primer, the primer has a hose to the carb that causes issues and the choke is attached to some sort of vacuum contraption that must of derived from left over parts needing to be used.

If any one remembers Puey67 (IIRC) he was our snowblower expert. Not seen him on in years since Tecumseh quit making....Always heard good about Tecumseh powered snow blowers.

Wish I had more and even some good info but....alas it is just COLD here, no snow