Eb 5000 honda generator shuttig off need help

Old 01-25-18, 10:52 AM
Eb 5000 honda generator shuttig off need help

Help!
I have a eb5000 Honda generator that I bought on 1998, and now I am stating to have problems with it. It have not been use to much except for the last 4 months that I have been using it 3-4 hrs a day. The problem is that after a while of being on it shut off.
If someone out there knows what may be wrong please help me.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-18, 12:12 PM
Group Moderator
How is it shutting off? Dying suddenly like flipping a switch or does it run rough before dying? Is it making any odd noises?

First check the oil level. It may be low and the generator vibrating may move it enough to trip the low oil shutdown.

Next I would check the valve adjustment.

If it's not either of those and the engine is shutting down after it get good and hot then I'd replace the coil. When they start to fail they can quit when hot but resume working again when it cools.

Old 01-28-18, 11:44 AM
Thanks Pilot Dane

Thank you so much for your time. I do have a problem when trying to find the right parts since my generarator model doesn't appear on my searchES on the Internet. The only ones I see are EB5000X OR EB5000KI, but not the EB5000 MOTOR GX340.
I have change the oil to the proper way and the spark plug but continued doing the same (it does this after one hr of been running or so ), right after it shut off I go ahead and start it right away, and it start at the first pull, then stays on for another hour or twould and it does the same again. It shut off like flipping a switch.
if you can find a link where I could find the manual for this model I will be more than thankful to you. By the way, I don't even know what the part you mentioned is, I am completely lost on this matter.
Thanks a million

Last edited by mountainman58; 01-28-18 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Add to it
Old 01-28-18, 11:47 AM
Group Moderator
How it dies is important. Does it just shut off or does it hesitate, stall and try to restart ? It's nice to know if it's a fuel issue or an electrical issue.

I can find you a manual but actual service manuals aren't free.
Post the serial number for the unit.

Old 01-28-18, 12:15 PM
Hello pjmax,

Hi Pjmax,
To be honest to you I don't know if it is an electrical, (which I don't think it is), or what it is because it turns again with only one pull and then it stays on for another our or two. When it turns off it is like when flipping the switch off.
About the manual I know they are not free, the case is that I can find my model number EB5000 MOTOR GX340, all the others have an extra letter or number.
I have been using SAE30 motor oil that' is what I remember the manual recommended for this model and that is the only one I have been using since I bought it on 1998. And now the new model are using 10W 30.
I live in a place where the temperature is in the upper 90s in summer and the rest of the year, on the 80, and upper 70s excpt for the winter that it gets to the lows 60s. I don't know if I should be using other type of oil.
On thing, I have been using the same oil AES30 and this is the first time I am having trouble with it.
Thanks again Pjmax

Old 01-28-18, 01:00 PM
Here is a link for the GX340 engine. Have a good one. Geo

Shop manuals - Honda Engines

Old 01-28-18, 02:37 PM
Group Moderator
I'll look a little further.

For your temperature zone.... straight 30w oil is fine.

Geo..... that link is for European Honda engines.

Old 01-29-18, 05:25 AM
Group Moderator
If it was running smooth and runs a full hour and re-starts easily immediately after it quit it's probably NOT the coil or valve adjustment.