Ariens 13HP Impeller and auger blades won't engage/turn very well

Old 01-25-18, 06:24 PM
Ariens 13HP Impeller and auger blades won't engage/turn very well

I have an Ariens 924505 STE with a 13HP Tecumseh Snow King engine. The impeller and auger blades won't turn very well when I engage the lever. Here's an overview of what I've checked:
- The roll pins on the impeller are in-place (2 of them) and not sheared off, broken nor missing
- The shear pins in each one of the auger segments are in-place and good to go
- The auger blades do not spin when turned by hand (further demonstrates the shear pins are good). I can get them to turn a very little bit by hand if I put a lot of force to them but the do not spin
- the impeller turns a little bit when, as I state above, I'm able to sligthly turn the the auger blades a slight bit with a lot of force by hand.
-- when I take the belt cover kit off, I can see the smaller belt and associated pulley spinning rapidly but when I engage the auger control lever the bigger belt and associate bigger pulley don't seem to want to move and only begin to move very slowly and very little at that -- almost as if its a struggle. The auger and impeller do also move just barely when that bigger belt and pulley move ever so slightly. But no huge movement/spinning.

Your help is appreciated and I thank you in advance for your thoughts/insight/suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-18, 03:36 AM
The Auger Belt may need adjustment or it may be worn out . . . . try just pulling on the Cable while watching and see if it then makes solid contact. I recently (during a warm spell) sprayed a little sticky "belt dressing" on my Auger Belt to buy myself a little time before replacement is necessary.

You can also check to see how tight the bearing is on the Idler Pulley (the "flat" one just to make sure that its not worn and allowing for that looseness.

You can look at the Pulleys and see where the Belt is making contact . . . . as it wears, it rides deeper and deeper into the "V" Groove, and it's done when it gets to the bottom of the "V". It may be time to start looking around for a new Belt for when you reach that point.

Hopefully, it's something simple like this . . . . even though nothing is simple in the middle of winter !

Old 01-26-18, 03:51 AM
Open up the transmission cover and see if the friction disc is making contact with the drive plate. It may be worm out. I've replaced this item several times.

Old 01-26-18, 04:31 AM
Normally, the Friction Disk is used only to propel the Blower forward and backward while the Auger iis driven separately by its own Belt and Pulley System.

But I don't own the exact same machine as the OP.

Old 01-26-18, 05:48 AM
Thank you @Vermont and @Norm201. I'm headed out on vacation today but will look at these when I get back and post what I'm to find. I'm much obliged to you.

Old 01-26-18, 07:03 PM
I got a chance to look at those things and what I noticed while doing it was when I pulled the engagement cable by hand the augers and impeller spun like a champ. So I figured out that I was just pulling further than the lever was, thus meaning there was too much slack in the engagement cable to get the pulley system to fully engage. I tightened up the cable and its good to go.

Thanks all! Now off to my vacation where there is no snow.

Old 01-26-18, 07:10 PM
Good show! Yes those cables can and do loose tension and often need to be adjusted. Thanks for the update and glad you got it fixed.