Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

snowblower question

PA

02-01-18, 09:31 AM   #1  
snowblower question

Hi,i have an old craftsman eager 1 22 inch 5hp 536.909400, I replaced the belts for auger and drive and now when I put the belt cover on the auger turns when not engaged, it seems the bottom of cover is hitting the pulley arm not allowing it to release all the way , without the cover it works fine, I'm pretty sure these are the right belts, my question is would it hurt anything if I would go ahead and just cut a couple inches off the bottom of the cover so the arm is not hitting it or would I get to much snow up there. thanks jim

Sponsored Links

CT

02-01-18, 04:44 PM   #2  
Getting snow inside isn't my main concern although you probably would get too much snow. Either your repair was done incorrectly or the belts are not the right ones for your machine. Try looking at a diagram.

VT

02-02-18, 03:42 AM   #3  
After 25 years (or longer), you shouldn't have to make any permanent modifications just to make the Blower run right;

Something is wrong with the way it was re-assembled "this time" . . . . check your assumptions.

PA

02-02-18, 06:48 AM   #4  
ok thanks, I will have to look into the belts, I did get the numbers for the belts off the diagram, got them on line, I did look into wrong assembly but the only thing I really took off was the belt cover and the bottom plates, tipped the machine up and slid the belts on, they do look like they are on right, maybe belt size is off a little like you guys said, thanks again

CT

02-02-18, 07:08 AM   #5  
jimbmc, looking over your post this morning raised another option. Take off the belt cover / bottom plates and make certain they're reassembled correctly. Sometimes these things can go on more than one way - but only one way correctly.

Super Moderator

CANADA

02-03-18, 06:20 AM   #6  
For sure you need to check how the belt and idler wheel are set up.
You also need to make sure that the belt size is correct.
Hopefully you have the old belt and it's intact so you can compare it against the size of the new one.
My experience with belts for older snow throwers is that replacements are more often wrong than not.
A 1/2 inch too big or small will either not go onto the pulleys or be too large to engage.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

PA

02-06-18, 05:15 AM   #7  
thanks, I did check everything and it looks like the belts are routed right and put back together right, as everyone said it has to be the belt, unfortunately the old belt was shredded, I did just cut about 2 inched off the bottom of the belt cover and did my driveway yesterday and is working fine now, being 25 years old if this ruins it over time I guess it is time for a new one anyway. thanks again for all your help.

Search this Thread