Nixon genny issue.

Old 02-01-18, 01:08 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Nixon genny issue.

Hello everyone, first time posting so please be gentle! Looked for an "Introductions" section in vain so...here I am.
Got given a Nixon KGE2200X by my dad, who has had it for a while but rarely used it. He got given it at the end of a building project, it's heritage before that is unknown but overall it looks to have had very few hours of use. The issue that developed while my dad had it, and is now for me to fix, is that it will start and run OK, but after maybe 5-8 seconds it shuts off. Shuts off as in like you turned off the ignition, not as in cough-splutter-stagger-die. Doing a bit of reading I came across these symptoms being related to problems with the low-oil cutoff, so following hints on this forum as well as elsewhere, disconnected both the switch and the sender unit, still doesn't work.

So, for the smallprint...I was told it was a Honda engine and this seems to be the case. Number etched by the oil drain plug is G3100673, rating plate on the air filter cover describes it as a Model 200 gasoline engine, with a bunch more info on bore, stroke, Max and rated output etc which I can provide if needed. It has a Ruixing 270 bowl/float carb. I have had the tank off, petcock runs free and clear, had the plug out, sparks fine, had the carb off and apart - very clean inside, had a brief poke through of the "air needle" port and popped out and blew through the main jet. Did find a small scrap of pinched-off o-ring where the main jet was, removed it. Have not yet gone anywhere near the emulsion tube etc. It is, I should mention, plentifully supplied with oil.

So, I'm a little bit stumped - it presents like an electrical issue with the instant shut-off, if I pull the starter right after it dies it usually starts again ok but again shuts off after a few seconds. I can foresee another, more in-depth session on the carb, complete with the fine wire, carb cleaner, compressed air etc, but in the meantime, does this ring any bells with anyone? As I said, going by the symptoms it is an issue with the low-oil-cutoff switch or sender, but unless they can ground out the ignition without being "plugged in", it ain't them!

Thoughts anyone?

Dave

Mod note: member from the UK.

Last edited by PJmax; 02-01-18 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-01-18, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

As this is a site based in the States.... I'm not sure if we can help you. With a manual or wiring diagram I could offer help but I couldn't find anything usable online. If you had a link to technical information that would be helpful.

The forum pro may have more information when he checks in.

Old 02-01-18, 09:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello and welcome Chillistarr!

I'm not familiar with that brand of generator but I am familiar with Honda engines. If I knew what model Honda was on it, it might help. I'm going to assume it's the ever popular GX series. If so, I suggest unplugging the kill wire right at the coil. Run it that way and see if it continues to shut off. If so, apply choke just as it shuts off and see if it prolongs the run time. If so, it's a fuel problem, if not, it could be the coil. I assume this has a NKG spark plug. If so, I recommend replacing it. NGK plugs do funny things in small air cooled engines in my experience. If it does not die with the kill wire unplugged, then you have something external grounding it. Be aware that with the kill wire disconnected, you will have to kill the engine by choking it, pulling the plug wire, or stopping fuel flow. Speaking of stopping fuel flow, does this have an electric solenoid on the bottom of the carb?

Old 02-03-18, 05:32 AM
C
Hello again, thanks for the welcomes and suggestions, sorry for the delay in replying, been a bit hectic. I will try and answer all questions, though going from memory so may not be in order - no, there is no solenoid by or below the bowl of the carb, (note of error in last post, carb is model 127, not 270 as previously, sorry.), no it is a Torch plug not NGK, tried the suggestion of giving it full choke when it dies but either I am not fast enough or it makes no difference. Then the starter rope snapped so had to fix that. While I had the recoil pull off anyway, took rest of cowling off and removed kill wire at the coil. Replaced pull, rebuilt and tried again, no difference, still runs happily for a few seconds then dies. Removed carb and have thoroughly cleaned to the best of my abilities, jets, galleries and ports all squirted with cleaner and blown through with compressed air. Decided to check petcock, broke filter in the process of removing it, then managed to crack housing in the process of reassembling - grrrr! So I have a replacement on order but progress will be mostly stopped until it arrives. In the meantime I have managed to track down some YouTube videos with almost-identical units featured - appears to be a fairly generic off-brand Chinese set, I can try and link to the videos if anyone would find that helpful? Still doesn't seem to be any manuals or tech-spec on the web for it, only mentions are other people also looking for manuals! There was no information with it when my dad was given it, so I'm afraid I can't provide wiring diagrams.

Old 02-03-18, 10:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
With the info and testing it sounds like the coil/mag. You could either try replacing it or use an inline spark tester to watch for spark when it dies, or check for spark if it will not start right back up.
Personally I don't care for Torch spark plugs either and if it could use a new plug, might as well give it one.

Old 02-03-18, 04:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, get rid of the cheap chinese torch spark plug. Eliminate the easy suspect stuff first. It sounds like this is not a honda engine then, might be a chinese clone.

Old 02-04-18, 10:06 AM
C
Originally Posted by cheese
I agree, get rid of the cheap chinese torch spark plug. Eliminate the easy suspect stuff first. It sounds like this is not a honda engine then, might be a chinese clone.
Success! Put the (shiny clean) carb back on, new plug, temporary tank and fresh fuel, 1st pull and away she went. And crucially, didn't die after a few seconds! So, either the carb, or more likely the plug were giving issues, but anyways, it now runs, and still runs after putting the wiring back together too! Thanks very much for your time, suggestions and help, I would never have thought to change the plug given it was sparking, could have been a long, expexpensive and frustrating time otherwise!

Old 02-04-18, 01:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it! I suspect it was the plug all along, the chinese plugs are notorious for problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: