Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Kohler SV600-0221 ACR

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

02-06-18, 04:32 PM   #1  
Kohler SV600-0221 ACR

This engine is on a Cub Cadet zero turn and I have suspicion it was ran low on oil and now has a problem with the ACR. I adjusted the valves so tight they might be a problem when warm and was able to get it to spin and fire. Spun and started good 3-4 times through the day. New battery and after parking it out in the cold now again it will not turn fast enough to start even with 225amp jump.

I have been into several briggs but not a Kohler. From the manuals and IPL's looks like the ACR is a hook weight attached to the exhaust cam lobe with a spring...

Just wandering if I can get it to start again and run some engine cleaner in it and change the oil, if it might free up to avoid labor of tearing into it...

Pretty sure when tech support returns my call they will save replace parts....just looking for any others who have been in these or have knowledge of it.

TIA

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

Last edited by BFHFixit; 02-06-18 at 04:50 PM.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-06-18, 07:50 PM   #2  
Have you turned it over while watching the rocker arms to see if it bumps the valve or not? Briggs was notorious for this failure but I don't think I've seen it go bad on a Kohler ever. If I have, I don't recall it anyway. Could be. I doubt running engine cleaner would help it but you never know. I've seen a lot of dragging/over-amping starters on these engines though... Might consider trying another starter if you have another laying around or check the draw.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

02-07-18, 05:38 AM   #3  
Tried a new starter, even went so far as to check the flywheel key after adjusting the valves cuz I never seen this on a kohler either. I went back in the valve cover and could not really see a bump on either so set em just loose enough to be seated cold and thats when I got it to go.
I hauled it inside last night to warm up so if I can get it to go I will try an oil change...otherwise I guess it's gonna need surgery...just not sure the owner wants to put that in it...

Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

02-07-18, 05:07 PM   #4  
I got it going and ran some flush in it and fresh oil. I was starting just fine inside at 50 degrees all morning. Ran it outside where it was in the 20's and it just ain't quite got it. I don't think the ACR is defective just worn.

What makes me think it was run low on oil is when I pull the dipstick, the oil looks fairly clean and mid marks, but on the bottom of the stick is that dark tar/varnish looking stain. Like it got parked after being run low for part of last year, had a problem getting it started this year, checked oil and added but it never got started to mix up the sludge.

Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

02-13-18, 07:21 PM   #5  
The gremlin exposed .

Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-14-18, 12:54 AM   #6  
Sure enough. Wonder why it's so difficult to make such a simple device hold up.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

02-14-18, 11:22 AM   #7  
Well they could start by making a spring bigger than the bread tie wire I use to clean carb jets!
Hard to imagine how that lil spring overcomes the valve spring....???

Can't tell from the overhead pic but the lil tang that hooks on the weight and keeps it pulled in, is no dere

Peace

Search this Thread