B&S V Twin

Old 03-13-18, 07:07 PM
B&S V Twin

Hi All, looking for information on testing the charging system in a Vanguard V-Twin ,mdl# 303447-1375 .
Geo

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-18, 07:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Test the single wire coming from the voltage regulator for 14+ volts with the engine running full speed. If not, check AC voltage from the two wires that plug into the regulator with the engine running full rpm. If you get around 28 volts AC or more from each wire but no DC voltage from the single wire, then the regulator is bad. If no AC voltage from the double wires, then the stator/alternator may be bad or the magnets could be broken loose from the flywheel.

Old 03-14-18, 05:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You need a good and fully charged battery to test. Depending on what regulator you have (determined by the color of wires) it needs 12+VDC connected to operate properly. So you may not be able to test for DC voltage at the regulator.
Check for static voltage of the battery then start the engine @ 3600 RPM test voltage of the battery, should be around 13.5 VDC and more than static measurement. If it passes this test then it is good, if not: Check AC from the stator. Again depending on which charging system you have, ACV from the stator may need to be 35VAC to be good.

I will see if I can find the manual when I get to work, in the mean time if you need more info...post back with the color of wires you have from the stator? and the regulator?

Old 03-14-18, 06:23 AM
Thanks BFKFIXIT, I managed to find the manual online PDF, so I think I should be all set, we had the complete manual for this engine but it disappeared,and of course no one knows anything about it.

Old 03-14-18, 07:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The manual will not specify what system you have, I found the PDF from briggs specificly for identifying and testing their alternators if you would like it.