Riding Mower wonít start

Old 03-22-18, 06:48 PM
Riding Mower wonít start

My MTD Riding mower wont start any more. I have attached an image of the model info.

I was trying to start it and the starter solenoid started clicking. Then right away it did nothing. I then checked the battery and it was good so I crossed the posts on the solenoid with a screwdriver and it finally cranked. Then I blew the 20a fuse near the solenoid. I replaced the solenoid and the fuse but now I get nothing. Iím worried I wired something wrong. The first time I tried to start it there was a light click and then now there is absolutely nothing. Battery is good. Thereís a small wire that Iím unsure where it goes. It has a circle hole connector. I figure it used to go on a bolt that clamped down the solenoid as a ground. So I put it on a bolt to be a ground. Iím unsure about that wire. The wire that connects to the solenoid to tell it to complete the curcuit is on correctly. Iím not sure what else to check? Is that wire a positive wire instead of a ground? I may be able to figure this out but would like some help.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-18, 07:45 PM
Iíve attached a picture of the Solenoid and wires. The wire Iím confused on is the green one with the circle connector. What does it connect to?

Attached Images  
Old 03-22-18, 08:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That wire is supposed to be grounded. It goes through one of the solenoid mounting bolts. It looks like your solenoid isn't mounted and that solenoid grounds through the mounting bracket. It must be bolted down to work or the circuit is not completed.

Old 03-23-18, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the info on the green wire. I had it bolted down. I took the picture when I was taking it apart again.

I think itís not getting positive to the small clip wire. Iíll test it for power and if needed run a new power wire on a push button to the solenoid trigger spot.

I was able to jump it and turn it off with the key.

Maybe my new solenoid is bad.

Can I test the solenoid by temporarily jumping a small wire from the battery positive to the solenoid small clip activator spot? As long as itís grounded that should work right?

Thanks for the help

Old 03-23-18, 02:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes !

Old 03-23-18, 07:25 PM
I canít find an exact model specific wiring diagram. How many fuses does my mower have and where are they? I found one the other day and it was blown. A few diagrams show the mower having two fuse spots.

Turns out the old solenoid was perfectly fine and the new one is fine. Itís for some reason not getting power from the key to the solenoid trigger. Iím able to start if by running a push button and new positive wire but Iíd love to be able to keep it factory.

Anyone know of a place that has the exact wiring diagram for my model.
13BN771G729
Iíve tried many websites and canít find one.

Or anyone have a diagram of the key wiring. That way I could test the wires out of the key switch.

Thanks.

Old 03-24-18, 04:30 AM
Attachment 91829I think your problem is in the Ignition Switch, and I would check the wires (ONE AT A TIME) to make sure that they're making solid contact and that they're free of corrosion . . . . and make sure the Switch itself is mounted solidly and grounded.

With a simple Multimeter, you can check the Switch itself for continuity between the it when is the Start position and the Red lead on the Solenoid. You said the Solenoid was "clicking" originally, and if that isn't accompanied by full closure of the electromagnet and cranking, it has usually meant the Battery is too weak . . . . but you said you that the Battery is okay.

That leaves the Ignition Switch. Maybe it just needs a cleaning; if so, take a photo BEFORE removing any wires so that you can be confident that they're put back on their posts correctly.

Your Switch should be MTD 925-06119B, and its wiring pattern ought to match this:
Name:  s-l500 (1).jpg
Views: 81
Size:  23.3 KB
But if you have alternative Switch MTD 925-1741 then the backside will look like this:
Name:  s-l500 (2).jpg
Views: 103
Size:  18.9 KB

Last edited by Vermont; 03-24-18 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Added MTD 925-06119B
Old 03-24-18, 07:57 AM
The battery is kind of weak but ok. If I jump it through the top bog posts it starts. It was clicking at first. Now it does nothing at all. And the battery is good now. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the image on ignition switch. Itís the second one. I found what each letter means and I found which are connected when turned to a position. Iíll test the key switch soon and let yíall know what I figured out.

Thanks so much for the help. Without yíall I would have been struggling even more.

Old 03-24-18, 07:07 PM
Key switch is bad. It was grounding out the coil off and on and not letting it spark.

Iíll get a new switch and post back on the progress

Old 03-25-18, 04:13 AM
So you think it's shorting out internally and considers the Mower to always be OFF ?

Had that Mower been stored outdoors and exposed to the weather ?

Yours may just need cleaning; but here's a replacement on eBay WITH a new Key:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MTD-White-I...8AAOSwcj5ZQvkG

There are less expensive OEM products available on eBay; but they require that your existing Key match ?

Last edited by Vermont; 03-25-18 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Added replacement Switch.
Old 03-25-18, 07:04 AM
It was stored outside in the weather the past year. Itís our ranch mower. I took it apart and cleaned it but it was still shorting out and considering it always off. Thanks for the link on eBay. It will be in by next week Friday