Looking for opinions on an inverter generator

Old 03-28-18, 05:18 PM
Looking for opinions on an inverter generator

I'm building a small bbq trailer it has a 7000 btu a.c. , mini fridge, 800 watt electric smoker, lights, fan, and probably 3 crock pots. I think a 3500/2800 will be enough. Any thoughts would be appreciated, and which brand, can't afford a honda I was looking at briggs or champion. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-18, 04:09 AM
In my opinion the Honda is overpriced although it IS a good machine. I bought a Yamaha, which in my opinion is every bit as good as the Honda but significantly lower in price.

I'd be leery about buying a low-cost inverter generator. Both the Honda and the Yamaha have pure sine wave inverters that are conservatively rated. I don't think that is true of the Chinese clones. The word "inverter" is becoming a buzz word for high quality and I'm afraid the lesser manufacturers are using it to hoodwink their customers.

I could be wrong.

Old 03-29-18, 05:09 AM
Group Moderator
Your options are very limited for an inverter style generator with the load you want to power. The air conditioner and fridge both have a high surge of demand when starting. You might find that you need to go even larger on the generator than you planned to avoid nuisance breaker/overload tripping. Your load calculation might be correct for running load but doesn't include the surge of starting the fridge and air conditioner.

If you go to New York City ALL the street vendors are using Honda EU2000i generators. They are expensive but they do seem to hold up to an extreme amount of use. I have three of their EU series in commercial use and they all perform very well. I have also had good luck in the past with Robin/Subaru and Yamaha though none of them were inverter models.

Old 03-29-18, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the opinions guys

Old 03-29-18, 11:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When buying an inverter, buy a Honda or buy something cheaper to get frustrated with temporarily until you can get a honda. If you are depending on it for your livelihood, you really should skip the temporary part and go straight in with the honda. Pilot Dane is correct about your sizing / application.

Old 03-29-18, 03:59 PM
I purchased the briggs Q6500 quiet power series. 5000 running. Should be here on the 3rd. It has a plug for my welder and I trust briggs engines. Hopefully I'll be satisfied. Thanks again