Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Battery life on a lawn tractor

NJ

04-02-18, 12:54 PM   #1  
Battery life on a lawn tractor

I have to replace the battery on our lawn tractor. Got it at Walmart and it has a sticker of 5/14 on it, so a few years old.

Got me wondering - is there a charging circuit on a 42" murray lawn tractor like there is on a car?

And years ago, we took the deck off the tractor and use it 100% to move things in a dump cart around our 1.5 acre lot. So lots more stop and starts than if we were mowing. We've been doing that for years and still getting years out of the battery, so I guess it's not horrific treatment of the battery? All those starts has to draw down the battery? But not as bad as I'd expect?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

KS

04-02-18, 03:17 PM   #2  
Most all "engines" on 42" lawn tractors do have a charging circuit.
3-5 years on a walmart lawn and garden battery is average-good life expectancy.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

LA

04-02-18, 04:08 PM   #3  
I have a 42" John Deere that I bought in '05. I think I replaced the battery after about 6 or 7 years/ Then I replaced it again last year. Unless my memory has failed me, I have only put 2 batteries in, in addition to the one that came with it. I cant swear to it but at best... I've only put 3 but I only remember 2. I'd say that's a long life for a lawn mower battery. I agree. 3 - 5 years would be average. Obviously longer is possible, but 3 years wouldn't be something I'd worry about, especially if they aren't run 4 or 5 months out of the year. Here in the south (La), Its not unusual to mow into Nov & I have mowed in Dec. Then mow as early as February. So my mower don't set for the winter very long.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-02-18, 11:15 PM   #4  
Around here in the hot South, we get about 2 years on the cheapo U1-1 batteries. A year or so more with the next size up, and usually close to 5 years with the U1-3 batteries (over 400 cranking amps, more plates, better quality). The engines do have alternators. They don't put out as much current as car alternators do but they do keep the battery charged well enough.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CT

04-03-18, 12:13 AM   #5  
I take my out and keep it warm and trickle charge it on a few occasions during the winter which helps extend its life. Like my motor cycle batteries. PS I like the Hardee brand at tractor supply if you have them in your area, good value! A bit better than what the mart offers.

Search this Thread