Poulan Pro Hydrostat problem

Old 04-10-18, 04:41 AM
Poulan Pro Hydrostat problem

I have a Poulan Pro model PP19A42 tractor with hydrostat drive. There are 2 intermittent problems with it. 1, sometimes the bypass lever on the back fails to put it in neutral making it very hard to push. 2, sometimes when I step on the reverse pedal it won't budge. I have to go forward a few feet then the reverse pedal works normal. All Poulan will tell me is to take it to a dealer. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-18, 10:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
On problem one, I would think the pull pin is not moving the lever on the transmission far enough, possibly grass and dirt caked up on the transmission in the way. Problem two, possibly also related to grass and dirt buildup on the transmission keeping the linkage from moving into the reverse range.

Old 04-10-18, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
On problem one, I would think the pull pin is not moving the lever on the transmission far enough, possibly grass and dirt caked up on the transmission in the way. Problem two, possibly also related to grass and dirt buildup on the transmission keeping the linkage from moving into the reverse range.
Thanks, I'll check for that when the snow melts so I can get to the shed. I've been worrying about this all winter.

Old 04-24-18, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by rmarchionna View Post
Thanks, I'll check for that when the snow melts so I can get to the shed. I've been worrying about this all winter.
I removed the rear wheels and the battery tray so I could get a good look at the area. No luck, it was a little dusty but no debris. I blasted it with compressed air anyway, but no change.

Old 04-25-18, 03:54 AM
Verify transmission oil level is correct. Also make sure the bypass and reverse linkages are not hitting any obstructions, when engaging, due to wear in the linkages. Also verify the forward pedal linkage puts the transmission in neutral when disengaged. There should be adjustment for this.

Old 04-25-18, 11:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the area is clean and the linkages are moving freely and fully, the belt is not glazed and slipping, and the oil level is full, then it would indicate internal problems.