Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Vanguard 16 hp v-twin won't keep running

04-14-18, 10:41 AM   #1  
Vanguard 16 hp v-twin won't keep running

When I have the starter running the motor is running but when the key is back in 2 position
It stops running.
I have replaced the key and switch

Sponsored Links

VT

04-14-18, 10:58 AM   #2  
What condition prompted you to change the Ignition Switch ?

It sounds as though you have a kill wire (wire to the "M" magneto) mis-wired so that it kills the engine when that should only occur when you put it in the Off position.

If the harness hasn't been otherwise altered , then I would be concerned that you have the wrong Ignition Switch.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-14-18, 11:38 AM   #3  
It could also be that the carb solenoid is incorrectly wired to the crank signal wire that turns on the starter solenoid.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

04-15-18, 07:36 AM   #4  
the ignition switch is the same as the one that was on it and the problem is the same with both ignitions switches.
when the key is in 2 position der is no power to the fuel solenoid so it is not in the switch.
I have this engien for 12 years running 6 hours every week and then no power on the fuel solenoid only when starter is activ.

NH

04-15-18, 12:05 PM   #5  
Is there a fuse in that circuit, is there power to the solenoid when you are cranking the engine over?
Geo

Search this Thread