Replacement motor has different plugs on wiring harness?

Old 04-14-18, 03:06 PM
Replacement motor has different plugs on wiring harness?

I'm trying to put a different motor on Huskee (MTD) lawn tractor and can't figure out the wiring harness conversion. The new motor is a Briggs 445877-0760-E1 V-twin. I had to cut off the plug because it did not fit the mower's existing harness. The mower has 2 wires coming from the carburetor solenoid, 1 is black and the other tan. It also has 2 wires coming from I assume from up under the top of the motor, one is light orange and the other is light red but they are combined into one red wire on the other side of a plug.
From my mower's manual pages, I found the wiring diagram. The wires are listed as: Yellow-Magneto, White - Alternator, Red- Afterfire Sol, and red/black stripe-Alternator
Any help will be greatly appreciated in matching these wires. I have tried to search for the motor's wiring diagram and can't find one.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-18, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
I would imagine that if anyone wanted to try to help, we would first need the model number and type of the old motor in order to look up and understand the schematic.

Old 04-14-18, 03:45 PM
Group Moderator
I tried looking up the engine and there are multiple choices as far as alternators.

Did anything come with the new motor ??

Old 04-14-18, 04:28 PM
I bought the motor used so no paperwork. Thanks for the responses! I think I figured it out. I had been searching on the internet for several days for the motor wiring diagram. I took the outside casing off the motor to find that the black wire I thought also went to the carb solenoid went to the Magneto so that goes to my mower yellow wire marked the same on my mower wiring diagram. The red wire on my mower marked as such goes to the carb. The other black wire I could see before from the carb grounds on the block. This was throwing me off before because I thought it was the black wire coming out on the other side of the motor. The white and red/bk from my mower go to the same source, alternator.