Craftsman Rider LT2000 /B&S intek 19.5hp model 31p677

Old 04-21-18, 05:35 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman Rider LT2000 /B&S intek 19.5hp model 31p677

Hello All, New member over 70 and retired machinist for steel mill.>> I have been given above riding mower with less than 75 hours and blown engine. It was well maintained,OILED and garaged. After tear down down and inspection I have concluded that both balance links are destroyed. There are no other damages EXCEPT the small offset weight under and attached to camshaft.From the design I have a feeling that this was the initial failure. Cast weight,dowel,springs,plastic piece,Circlip and halfround rod were broken and loose in case. I am not real familiar with small engines ( have replaced valves and pistons on my AVEO -timing belt fail) So Question, Is this weight part of a compression release And is it mandatory?

Old 04-21-18, 11:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I can't say for certain that what you are describing IS the compression release, it does however sound to me to be so.

Compression release is needed for starting since batteries and starters are smaller than auto. The starting system will not be able to turn the engine past the compression stroke fast enough if at all.

New cams are rather in-expensive for those engines.

Old 04-22-18, 01:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Yes, that is the compression release mechanism. You need it. If it's not there, you may never get the engine started but if you do, it will end up costing you in burnt up solenoids from over-amping, starters, and batteries. I think a new cam is around $90. It's a common problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: