Craftsman LT1000 fast start but dies

Old 04-29-18, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Craftsman LT1000 fast start but dies

Model 917.272650
Help please. I'm beyond discouraged.
Lost my husband 3 years ago. Limited funds so I'm a forced DIYer.
My late husband's brother bought me an old LT1000 about 18 months ago from a stranger so we don't know the history beyond since I've had it.
1st cutting season, the iron bar (axle?) Between the two front tires broke. Replaced it with a used one. Replaced battery.
Last summer, replaced battery AGAIN. Dead cell in the other. New blades. In Nov had to pay someone to pick it up, turn valves? And he also put a new tube in a back tire that kept going flat. The shop was only five miles from me but dont have a trailer. I left it there until Feb. Got it home. Mowed the grass. Ran fine. Next time I went to mow...othet rear tire flat. I took it off and had a new tube put in it. Almost got my yard finished when the drive belt broke and flew out. Bought another. Son in law put it on for me and....we tilted the mower up about 45 degrees to check something under it. He left, it was dark. I cranked it up and finished mowing, no problem. 10 days pass. I need to cut grass.
***It cranked right up, but only for 2 seconds and emitted blue/white/grey? smoke from front and quit. No sputtering when it was running, just died. I tried to restart it and it would not fire. Acted flooded. Left it be 10 minutes and tried. Cranked immediately and then puffed the smoke as it died seconds later. Got my next door neighbor to check it out. Same happened with him, only he pulled the sparkplug out and told me that each time it does this it coats the plug with oil. He cleans it off with carb cleaner, but it recoats it. No visible oil leaks around the engine. No sign of wet oil on the air filter...though it does look a little dirty between the accoedian looking paper. We tried cranking without the filter on it...same thing happens.
Since I've had it, I have put almost $250 into it. I don't even know if it is worth that.
Could we have caused this by tilting it up sideways?
So. Is there a repair that I can try myself that won't be expensive? If not...Ill have to save up for another mower and sell this ome. If I keep the battery so I'll have a spare. What is a fair range to ask when selling this mower for parts? Sorry for all the added info. I just really don't know what to do here.
If it sounds like a "shop" repair, can someone give me some "reasonable" repair fees I might expect?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-18, 03:53 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You just got some oil into the combustion chamber when you had it tilted. Check the oil level with the machine on level ground. If that is good get it started and let it run. It will smoke and eventually clear up. You may have to choke it to keep it running.

If it gets harder to start, change the plug. The oil can foul it.

Old 04-30-18, 05:12 AM
Oil Check and Spark plug status

I had checked the oil when it last ran well. It was in operating range. Now, it is right at the "Add--->"
Would the spark plug be fouled if it still cranks on first try but dies? I thought if it was fouled it couldn't get fire to start?
How do I clean the oil out and where on the machine? Thanks for your reply!

Old 04-30-18, 05:30 AM
Myself, I would remove the spark plug and try cleaning off any oil (or replace). Remove air cleaner and see if it's soaked with gas or oil. Clean as needed. Crank over briefly with plug out. Replace plug, make sure there's fresh gas in the tank, try starting again. Good luck! Steve

Old 04-30-18, 07:31 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If it's starting the plug is still working. There's isn't a place to clean the oil out of the combustion chamber. It's best to let it burn out.

The oil level probably became low when you had the machine tilted. It doesn't take long to burn the excess out of the combustion chamber, it will just smoke a little. After that clears up, bring the oil up to the full mark and keep a check on on it as you use the mower.

Old 05-02-18, 07:27 AM
Thanks for your suggestion Steve. There seems to be two filters, an accordian
Looking paper one and a foam one. I'll clean the foam one and see if
I can't replace the paper one. Have a blessed day.