Matching new mounting holes on a Briggs & Stratton

Old 05-02-18, 09:05 AM
Matching new mounting holes on a Briggs & Stratton

I have a Craftsman DLT 3000 lawn tractor. It has a 18.5 hp INTEK OHV engine in it. The engine is: Model # 31P777 Type 0296E1 Code 040511ZD. I found a 19 hp INTEK OHV model 33R877-0003-G1. Before I order it I would like to know if the mounting holes are the same on the 2. A guy at repower says they are, but they are in the business of selling motors. I have included 2 attachments. The holes in the chassis for mine are marked in red. The other is a schematic of the 33R877-0003-G1 bottom. I'm no expert but they sure look different to me. He says Briggs hasn't changed the mounting holes in years. The holes to the oil filter side look closer together don't they?

I need a motor I can just drop in there without a big hassle of taking the mower someplace to have the chassis drilled for new holes.
Anybody know for certain they would match? I don't want to shell out $650 just to have to pay to return the thing.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-18, 10:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If that is an AYP Craftsman (917.xxxxxx model#) Mounting holes should be no problem. Just make sure the shaft size is the same.

Old 05-02-18, 10:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The guy who sells motors is right.

Old 05-03-18, 05:18 AM
That's one area where there has been some standardization . . . . at least among US Manufacturers, and within similar power groupings.

To add to your confidence, I have an old 1973 AMF Mower that was originally equipped with an 8 HP Briggs, which blew up around 1989, and I replaced it with 10 HP Tecumseh. Then that engine blew up on me in 2014, and I replaced it with 13.5 HP Briggs . . . . always using the same mounting holes.

I doubt that your supplier (or any, for that matter) would want the headache of telling you something will fit when it won't. There's no percentage in creating customer disappointment.

I don''t think I've just been lucky !

Old 05-04-18, 07:27 AM
Ok
Thanks, just needed a little reassurance. I've learned to be a little careful about what I buy on-line. Some people tell you what they think you want to hear to make a sale.
I don't have a ton of spare time to do this so I don't want a big hassle when I go to do it.
George

Old 05-04-18, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
Just so you are aware.
These swaps are not always 100% drop in.
You could have some minor differences in the electrical, throttle hook up and even with the shaft.
I experienced this when I attempted to replace the 11 hp Briggs on my Craftsman snow thrower.
The replacement was exactly the same except for being a non-standard shaft size of 3/4".,
It seems who ever built my model cheeped out and used the drive components from the smaller HP models.
The correct engine was available but at a cost of nearly of what the thrower cost.

Old 05-07-18, 07:24 AM
I checked the shaft size first, even before the mounting issue. Electrical should be the same, they also supply some extra wires if something is a little different. They also had a nice shot of how to wire it.
I did get an engine but haven't had time to even take it out of the box yet. April was such a cold miserable month in NY that I'm a couple weeks behind in my outside work. Hope to get it in this next week.

Attached Images