Oil leaking from zero turn mower

Old 05-10-18, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil leaking from zero turn mower

I have a scag zero turn riding mower with a Briggs and Stratton motor, model 44P777, type 5156G6. The mower is 4 years old, 221 hours on it. I do yearly oil changes and weekly maintenance. I noticed an oil leak but can seem to pin point where it is coming from. It is not Coming from the oil filter, it seems like itís comibg more from under the motor. Can anyone give me any direction to go to figure this out? Iím stumped

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-18, 06:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 296 Votes on 270 Posts
How viscous is the oil? Thin like motor oil or thick like gear oil? Often engine and gearcase oil have a very different smell so you can give it the sniff test.

Only you can see where the oil is coming from. If dirt is preventing you from seeing the source I'd hose all the under bits off with engine degreaser and hose it off. Once everything is clean hopefully you can track the oil back to it's source.

Old 05-10-18, 06:41 PM
It is thin like motor oil. Iíve hosed the whole area off to try and locate the source but can not pin point it. It seems as though it is coming from the bottom of the engine but can see oil sitting there in the housing.

Old 05-11-18, 06:45 AM
Received 42 Votes on 36 Posts
There are 2 sources of oil, the engine and the hydraulics. I am not familiar with your mower arrangement but assume they are in close proximity making identifying the source of the leak difficult. One thing you can do is remove the engine and set it up to run outside the mower and check for the leak. I know there are dyes that can be added to the oil supply and using a special light to illuminate the dye, determine the leak location. I don't know if the oil has to be changed after the test or the cost of the dye and light but it is a alternative. Hope this helps.

Old 05-11-18, 11:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hydro stat oil is 20W50 motor oil.

Check the top of the pulley for the drive belt. If oil is pooling there it is likely the PTO seal. It could also be the sump gasket.

Old 05-11-18, 12:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 19 Posts
I agree with BFHFixit, most likely it's the bottom crankshaft seal. If so, there will be oil pooling on the top pulley over the PTO clutch.