John Deere X750 just "clicks" when key is on

Old 05-15-18, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
John Deere X750 just "clicks" when key is on

This isn't a battery or starter issue. I was mowing along when the mower [Diesel] just stopped and was making a click-click-click sound from under the hood. With each click the LCD display would flash- it was totally blank between clicks. Clicks are about 1 second apart. I lifted the hood and the click is coming from under there, but can't isolate the source of the click. The mower "starts" when the key is turned to "start", but immediately stops when the key/switch returns to the "run" position. And the clicking resumes. My mower is "dead" in the middle of my 5 acre yard. This is a 2017 JD X750 Diesel with only 45 hours on it. I'm suspicious of a "blown" sensor but...
Any ideas before I have it hauled back to the dealer [40 miles away...]?

Last edited by Potscatton; 05-15-18 at 06:30 PM. Reason: misspelling
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-18, 06:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
Is it still under warranty? A simple safety switch issue would not cause the display to blink on and off and doesn't make a clicking sound that I recall. I have the older version (X595) and the only thing normally hear making a audible click is the glow plug relay which you can hear click on and off. The other thing might be the shut off solenoid. It's what kills the fuel flow to turn the engine off. It probably makes a click but normally does it when the engine is running and you can't hear it.

Old 05-15-18, 09:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Bad ground connection my first guess.

Old 05-15-18, 10:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 19 Posts
The clicking may be the fuel shutdown solenoid. I'm with a bad ground or something more involved that a dealer should warranty.

Old 05-16-18, 05:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
If your dealer didn't explain, there is a lever on the back right side of the machine you can move that will allow it to be towed. As you know it's too big and heavy a machine to push. Once you get it somewhere civilized you can try things to duplicate the problem. Wiggle the seat, wiggle wires, tap on electrical connections and anything else you can think of until you can make the problem happen. Once you can make it happen then you have a clue where and what the problem is.

Old 05-16-18, 06:15 AM
Great suggestions and THANK YOU. The solenoid ideas sound like the right area to investigate. Yes, it's still under warranty, but getting it back to the dealer will be a P.I.A., and I was hopeful that I could find that simple loose connection. Thanks again for all input!!