Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Repair prospects for engine with aluminum transfer

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-15-01, 10:01 AM   #1  
Since I fear we've done damage to our lawnmower engine (Tecumseh self-propelled walk behind), I'm still trying to figure out if it's worth trying to repair or if it's time for a new mower.

If there is some internal damage from running it low on oil (aluminum transferring from the connecting rod to the crankshaft, as I understand it), can this be repaired? If so, can it be repaired by folks who haven't worked on lawnmowers before? (Or what would it cost to get someone who knows what they're doing to work on it?)

In the meantime, we still haven't been able to start it, but I'm suspicious of the dirty sparkplug. Although that would be cheap and easy to fix, we've put off dealing with that until we figure out if we've got a chance to make this thing work.

Thanks

P.S. Has anyone had luck with cheap engines sold on ebay?

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

05-15-01, 06:30 PM   #2  
Hello: gobuckeyes

If memory serves me, your prior postings discribed internal engine damage due to lack of oil. This postings states there is a metal transfer between the connecting rod and the crankshaft journal.

Based upon that information, the engine is scrap. Yes, it could be fixed but not worth the time and parts costs. Replace the engine if the mower decking, etc. is still okay.

As for replacement engines sold online, I do not suggest it. Visually engines may look identical but may not be. The basic engine model only discribes the engine class.

One tiny difference between engines, within the same class, will only be noted in the numbers that follow the basic model numbers. These numbers must be matched identically to those on the existing engine.

Engine replacement information is best found at the mower repair shops. I also suggest you make the purchase thru the store. I suggest you visit the local one in your area.

To continue this posting, if there are any other questions, use the reply button to continue the topic.

Good Luck,
Tom_Bartco
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.

Visiting Guest

05-16-01, 09:53 AM   #3  
Joe_F
I would contact Tecumseh and ask what the replacement engine part number is for that unit.

Then, shop the net and ask them to quote THAT number, not the generic series.

I have found places on the net that sell new engines, factory direct, but if I needed one, I would make sure they are quoting the correct replacement.

Search this Thread