Ryobi RGBV3100 Impeller Retrofit

Reply

  #1  
Old 05-21-18, 01:25 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ryobi RGBV3100 Impeller Retrofit

Hello All.
I've just recently had to finally replace the impeller on my RGBV3100. It lasted for over 20 years of service. Like you may have found, the impeller part number 791-147353 has been discontinued with no other similar fit options. So I went to work to try and find specs on similar model or late model mulcher/vacs with similar parts. During my search I found a twin to my model made by Yard Man. The Toro and MTD models that share the OEM part offered no upgrade or retrofit options.. But Yard Man does! The Yard Man (machine model YMGBV3100) impeller (p/n 731-04275) has a more robust and aggressive vane style. The part is readily available and I ordered one from eReplacementparts.com for just under $20.00.
Fitting the new impeller required a slight modification of the left housing's inner liner. Since the part is slightly larger than the Ryobi's impeller, the Yard Man left and right housings carry different part numbers but are identical in outside appearance. In looking at the Yard Man blower housing parts, it's apparent that they do not have the left/right inner liners. I considered leaving these out but I thought first I'd try to assemble with the liners intact. A tighter housing produces more air volume.
To modify the left liner, I first installed the new impeller and placed the engine assembly into the right housing half. I noted that spinning the impeller by hand, there was no contact with the right housing. I then marked the exposed impeller vane edges with paint pen and installed the left housing without fasteners, I then held the two halves together and pulled the starter rope. I heard the impeller contact the left housing liner and when I removed the left half, I saw the paint marks in the lower portion of the liner. I ground down the liner with a rat tail file until there was no contact (You may opt to remove both liners altogether).
After complete reassembly and a trial run, I now have blower/vac that greatly exceeds the OE air movement performance.
 

Last edited by TommyFIX; 05-21-18 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: