Briggs&straton 15.5hp

Old 05-24-18, 11:06 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Briggs&straton 15.5hp

My b&s 15.5hp 283h07 0197e1,was running great ! No smoke pleanty of power and the half way threw yard I stopped to get a drink and it would not restart . Thought it might rocker arm so i checked and reajusted to right gap .005. Thought it might be spark plug or magneto? Replaced both still nothing ? It turns iver great (easy) then i checked compression (using my thumb over sparkplug hole) weak pressure . Then i just happened to remove oil dipstick and was getting pressure from dipstick tube!! (remember no smoke!) could i have blown rings? It won't start even with starting spray. The cars and boats (high performance even) i've had started with bad rings just would smoke alot. Any help would be nice !

Last edited by SNHARK; 05-24-18 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-24-18, 01:52 PM
T
Were you able to check to make sure both valves were moving like they are supposed to? It could be one of them are stuck or worse bent. Did it backfire at all when trying to start it?

Old 05-24-18, 03:31 PM
S
yes it did backfire and front backfire and no i haven't yet been able to check for bent valve maybe tommorow .i guesse?

Old 05-24-18, 03:34 PM
S
I did see both valves moving ,atleast the rocker arms were and the tie rods were in the right position. thank for responding.

Old 05-24-18, 04:13 PM
T
No problem. Just because both rocker arms are moving doesn't necessarily mean the valves are moving. I would definitely check that. I'm actually working on a 13hp briggs that was doing the same thing. I found that the exhaust valve is bent and needs replaced.

Old 05-24-18, 07:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Valve seat has come loose.?.? Remove the head and check.

Old 05-25-18, 01:09 PM
S
Thank you tnoaker & bfhfixit . It was a exhuast valve seat. Valve was staill good and i used a big c/clap and pressed it back in finish mowing yard and so far so good ! I could not find a part# for the valve seat in case i need to replace it. Any idea?

Old 05-25-18, 03:09 PM
T
You should be able to go to briggs and Strattons website and find it there. Just go to support and then buy parts. You type in the model number and the whole engine breakdown.

Old 05-25-18, 08:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
You won't be able to find the seat available on a parts breakdown or from Briggs. It comes with the head. When you put it in, you should have peened it in to keep it from coming back out again. There are lots of videos about peening in valve seats, so when it comes loose again you'll know what to do. Generally the seat comes loose as a result of overheating, so make sure you are running the engine at full throttle while cutting and the cooling fins are clean and the fan on the flywheel is in good shape and all your tins are in place around the cylinder.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: