Riding Mower Sputtering

Old 05-25-18, 09:06 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 1 Post
Riding Mower Sputtering

I have a very old riding mower. It had a very difficult time getting started this Spring. Lots of White smoke and sputtering and very loud. There was gas left in the gas tank and it is not real good gas - OHio gas. I put new gas in, tuned it up and it did finally start. But it really isn't running great. Here is what is happening:

1 - 60% of the time, when I shut down the mower after mowing, about 4 minutes later it makes a loud pop - sort of like a backfire. Just once.

2 - The mower sputters and seems like it is going to stall out when:
a. I turn the wheel in an extreme way,
b. I turn the mower blades on, and/or
c. going up the hilly portion of my yard,

Not always - but often enough. Wasn't sure I would make it through the mow today.

So, any idea what is going on here?

I want to just thank the people who answer questions here on this site. You have all saved me numerous times!

Old 05-26-18, 04:26 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, it might not hurt to put some Seafoam gas additive in the the tank and run it through, I have had some success with it , especially if gas was left on in it.
Just a thought.
Geo

Old 05-26-18, 09:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It is nearly impossible to make any kind of diagnoses without knowing which of many thousands of models, types engine and deck combination of "Riding Mower" you might have.

Old 05-26-18, 12:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Sounds like water in the carb for one. Drain the carb bowl. A lod bang 4 minutes after you shut it off? That's a heck of a delay... I can't imagine one actually backfiring 4 minutes after it was shut off.

Old 05-27-18, 08:23 PM
J
Kohler engine manufactured by Briggs & Stratton. Scotts Mower bought at Home Depot. L17.542.

Old 05-28-18, 01:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Kohler engine manufactured by Briggs and Stratton? There is no such thing. That's like saying Ford made by Chevy.

Old 05-29-18, 12:16 PM
J
there is such a thing because I copied it off the manual. This mower was a combination of many companies - depot, scotts, kohler, on and on ......

Old 05-29-18, 03:11 PM
H
Received 292 Upvotes on 250 Posts
Is it someting like this?

White smoke in an air cooled engine means you're burning oil.
Either the rings are shot, or the engine is running way too hot.
Old mower means the rings are probably shot.

A) the piston rings are worn and you're burning oil. Then you'd also have gas / fuel-air blowing into the crank and oil pan, which is causing the delayed backfire when the vapors mix with air and ignite.

or

B) the engine is overheating and thinning out the oil so much it gets past the rings. It's also staying so hot that after you turn it off, any gas left in the carb boils off into the exhaust and backfires.

Old 05-29-18, 05:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, there is no such thing as a Kohler engine manufactured by briggs and stratton. Scott's is home depot's line, they don't make mowers either, they had their name put on Deere or Murray mowers. Depot doesn't make any mowers at all. We don't mind helping, but we need some accurate information especially when concerning factors as important as what engine is on your equipment.

Your manual mentions both Briggs and stratton AND Kohler because your unit was available with either engine and they printed one manual for both models instead of making two manuals with all the same information except when mentioning engine brand.

Old 05-29-18, 07:09 PM
J
thanks, I will give this a try.

Old 05-29-18, 07:14 PM
J
Hal S

that is the mower! thank you Hal_S

I have noticed it is leaking some oil. would that fit in with your options?

Old 05-29-18, 07:18 PM
J
I understand. It is a Kohler. Do you need me to look at the engine and see if there is some sort of identifying number? Although, Hal S did post a picture of the exact mower.

Old 05-29-18, 08:07 PM
H
Received 292 Upvotes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by janebench
I understand. It is a Kohler. Do you need me to look at the engine and see if there is some sort of identifying number?
I'd do 3 things

1) find the engine make and model number, use that to figure out what weight motor oil that make of engine is supposed to take.

2) Change the oil asap.

3) Change the oil filter asap.

See if it runs better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: