Ryobi 725r Line trimmer stuck at high throttle

Old 06-06-18, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ryobi 725r Line trimmer stuck at high throttle

Hey all,

I just did a carb kit replacement on my Ryobi 725r line trimmer since it wasn't running well. Put it all back together and I'm still running into a few issues.
First off, it won't start when set in the partial choke setting. If I then put it full choke, it will start but sputters. I then, while running, set it back into partial choke and it runs at high throttle. Because of this, I thought the carb was out of adjustment but, again, same issue. If I set both the high and low screws full clockwise and then all the way counterclockwise, I get 1 full revolution as the total range.
I then put it to full clockwise and turned both counterclockwise a 1/4 turn. Same issue. Then tried it again with a bit more at a 1/2 turn. Same issue.
I even tried to adjust it while running. I did get some change in the engine when adjusting the High screw but when I let off the throttle to set the low, the thing still runs at full high.
As far as the idle screw, that thing doesn't seem to affect anything. I've attached a photo to see if many I put something back incorrectly.

Attached Images  
Old 06-06-18, 04:19 PM
Received 30 Votes on 25 Posts
I believe what you have labeled as High and Low Adjustment are the mixture adjustment screws. They are adjusted to optimize the fuel/air mixture for both low and high speed operation. They are not "speed" adjustments. It appears that the throttle isn't even touching the idle screw. It looks like the throttle isn't returning to idle. Usually, there is a spring that pulls the throttle back to idle. I see a spring on the throttle lever. I'm guessing that you don't have the spring positioned properly (not pulling throttle back to idle position).

Old 06-06-18, 06:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 56 Votes on 51 Posts
I think your throttle cable is not returning, keeping the carb from returning to idle position.

Old 06-07-18, 07:10 AM
G
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
The throttle shaft looks like it is 180degrees off as if it needs to be turned around and reattached. Have a good one. Geo

Old 06-07-18, 09:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 56 Votes on 51 Posts
Yes it does, doesn't it. Good eye.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: