Oil change Kawasaki FC420V - engine now stalls

Old 06-10-18, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil change Kawasaki FC420V - engine now stalls

Hello,

I just changed the oil and new filter on my mower today, which has a Kawasaki FC 420V, ES 15 engine. Mower was running fine prior to, and after the oil change very difficult to start. Once I got it running, it ran fine at an idle, until I put the grass catcher on - just the weight of the catcher caused it stall, twice. I got it running again with catcher on, and again it stalled, this time after I got to the end of my driveway on slightly uneven ground.

I've had my share of issues with this machine lately not running (at all), and then running (way too rich because the main jet in the carb was missing), and then finally running great last weekend, and now this. Any thoughts on what could be causing it to keep stalling out? Fuel is getting through the filter to the carb just fine it appears, as the bowl was full. I checked the main jet again, still in place. Can't think of a good reason this time why it won't run right.

Thanks much in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-18, 01:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 19 Posts
Does it smoke while running, does partial choke help it or hurt? What does the plug look like and have you tried a new one?

Old 06-11-18, 05:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 299 Votes on 273 Posts
Did you tip the machine on it's side when changing the oil?

Old 06-11-18, 10:32 AM
No, it's probably about a 600 pound mower! I did tip it back and put the front on jack stands so I could clean under the deck and grease the cutter housings, but I don't think that should cause any issues (though I could be wrong).

Old 06-11-18, 10:47 AM
Cheese, was not smoking while running, choke and throttle were running normally. Didn't inspect the plug yet, it's a newer plug though. I'm thinking it's a fuel issue, but not sure what exactly.

Old 06-26-18, 05:32 PM
I checked the spark plug, it was black and sooty - makes sense that it may have been running a little rich, as I put a new main jet in that was slightly oversized (102 passage size, while the carb calls for 100). But now I can't get any spark, even tried two other spark plugs. I'll have to check the valves and magnet when I have some time next weekend.

Old 06-27-18, 01:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 19 Posts
Chances are, based on past experience, the igniter is bad. That often causes hard starts and backfires before starting when it begins going bad, then it quits altogether. Sounds like that's what you've had happening. There are test values for ohming the igniter and coil.
https://www.google.com/search?q=kawa...EINTAB#imgrc=_

Old 07-01-18, 08:20 PM
Thank you for the follow up, haven't had time to get back to it, but that's the next thing to test. I replaced the ignition coil last summer, and this particular motor doesn't have an igniter. I also tested the ignition switch last year, which tested fine. Will have some time later this week to work on it, hopefully some good news to report.