DR Trimmer/Tecumseh motor

Old 06-12-18, 07:20 PM
DR Trimmer/Tecumseh motor

I am working on a DR Trimmer with a Tecumseh 207cc, VLv60. it was leaking gas from the carb bowl, but would run.I removed the carburetor and found there was no gasket between the bowl and carb body. I also noticed that the float would stick, so I cleaned everything, made sure the float moved and shut the fuel flow and made a gasket for the bowl. Tried to start and it seemed like the leak was worse. So I happened to be on Ebay and picked up a new carb for cheap. Got it installed , no leak, but now it won't start, and it is getting fuel. Before I waste any more time and money, I wonder if I am missing something here ? All the rods and springs are hooked up right, throttle moves easily, it has spark and fuel. I am not that familiar with Tecumseh motors and know they are not being made any more. I'm doing this for an older couple that can't do it theirselves.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-18, 12:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you put a little gas in the spark plug hole and put the plug in and try to start it, does it start momentarily?

Old 06-13-18, 09:33 AM
I did shoot a bit of starting fluid in the air cleaner intake and yes it started for a moment then died like it had no gas.

Old 06-13-18, 10:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd say you got a bad carburetor then. Does gas squirt into the throat of the carb when you press the primer bulb?

Old 06-13-18, 12:39 PM
Now that is hard to say since I can't see in. The primer bulb covers the throat of the carb. The bulb looks to be ok, but it could be cracked. If i received a bad carb, how would I test to know for sure? Is there a way?

Old 06-13-18, 03:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The air filter covers the throat. Remove the air filter then look into the throat while pumping the primer....

Old 06-13-18, 03:23 PM
The primer bulb is On the air cleaner housing, if I take the housing off, no primer. The whole darned thing bolts on with the air cleaner housing. This is the first time I have seen this type of set up. I did notice after looking at the schematic and then the back of the primer bulb/aircleaner that there is a tube sticking out the back that looks like it should have a breather tube on it. There is no hose on this tube, but should be. Could this be the starting problem, or could that prevent the bulb from drawing the fuel into the carb? I am wondering why the would have the primer bulb bolt right onto the mouth of the carb

Old 06-13-18, 08:06 PM
I apologize for the long post , I was trying to show how the primer bulb was attached. Added the breather and swapped the bowl assembly from the new carb to the old. Same result, if you shoot gas into the throat it fires then dies like no fuel.

Old 06-13-18, 10:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Either it's sucking air somewhere between the carb and the engine or the carb is blocked somehow and not letting gas and air mix and enter the cylinder.

Old 06-15-18, 10:20 AM
Wanted to make sure and thank Cheese for all the help on this. I ended up thoroughly cleaning the original carb and made sure all the openings were clear. the small tube in the center of the bowl seemed to have something in it , but clear now. Also there is a small jet behind the screw on the bowl that was in crooked. It starts after priming and accelerates and idles. This was for an older couple and he has a bad back, so it needed to run easily. I couldn't charge them and it was a learning experience for me.

So thanks for all the help everyone and great site. I have this thing about people getting something fixed, but don't come back and give an update and thanks. Everyone should do that.

Old 06-15-18, 11:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great, glad you got it and thanks for the update!