Troubleshoot my lawn mower not working

Old 06-15-18, 03:31 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Troubleshoot my lawn mower not working

I have a Craftsman lawn mower model # 917.370581 and after I drained and replace the oil, change filter, replace spark plug, and added fuel stabilizer, the lawn mower starts but it dies like 10 seconds after it started. Any suggestion why it's no longer working? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-18, 03:47 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
Most likely problem is a sticking carburetor. Did you fully empty the fuel tank and carburetor prior to winter storage? Try taping the bowl with a hammer and hopefully that will jar the butterfly valve loose. Use Seafoam carb cleaner. If that does not work you need to take out the carb and do a through cleaning.

Old 06-15-18, 03:55 AM
C
No, I did not empty the fuel tank and carburetor prior to winter storage; however, it was working fine so far this spring to summer. It works fine before I did all the maintenance yesterday. Thank you for the suggestion, I will try the hammer first.

Old 06-15-18, 07:55 AM
G
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
When you tilted it to pour out the oil junk in the carb bowl probably shifted and clogged the main jet. The bowl nut is the main jet on that carb it has one hole down the center and one across the bottom clean these holes as well as the bowl and you should be good to go be careful when reinstalling the bowl gasket so it doesn't get destroyed. Have a good one. Geo

Old 06-15-18, 10:05 AM
C
Awesome! I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Old 06-15-18, 01:02 PM
C
Okay, so I opened up the carburetor and cleaned up everything. I put it back and it started fine. I let it run for 5 or so minutes. Then after like 10-20 minutes, the lawn mower failed to start anymore. By the way, the spark plug is new.

Old 06-15-18, 01:52 PM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
I understand "but I already did that", but you got measurable improvement by cleaning the carburetor so I'd go back and do it again. Something you did obviously helped, and maybe you have a separate issue as well, but I'd start with the assumption that maybe I missed or didn't get all of one chunk of gum or whatever in the carburetor.

Old 07-17-18, 06:38 AM
C
Okay, my lawn mower has worked since my last post. However, yesterday my lawn mower failed to start after I mowed for 30 minutes and turned it off. Any suggestion on how to troubleshooting starting issue? Again, I've replaced the spark plug with a new one.

Old 07-17-18, 11:22 AM
S
Considering it wasn't drained and run dry for winter storage I agree with aka pedro. You might want to try cleaning the carb again since it seemed to improve. Pay attention to the bowl nut as geo commented and spray carb cleaner up the main nozzle (round metal tube dead center of carb).

There could be a separate issue considering it won't start after it runs for 30 minutes.

I believe you have a Briggs & Stratton engine. Depending on the age of the mower, some B&S coils tend to open up and lose spark after getting hot. If the mower starts again after cooling off for a good 1/2 hour or more, that "could be" the problem. Replacing a coil is a bit more complicated. Try re-cleaning first.

Tip: Always use fresh gas & go easy on the Stabil. I prefer draining tank and running dry for storage.