Craftsman LT1000 B+S Engine Won't Stay Running

Old 06-17-18, 09:56 AM
Craftsman LT1000 B+S Engine Won't Stay Running

Hey guys. I've got a Craftsman LT1000 Riding Mower with a 17HP Briggs+Stratton Engine (Model #- 310707 0137-E1) that wont stay running. It'll start up, run for a minute or two, and then shut down. Also, it only runs when the choke is on. When I switch to "running" gear, it turns off instantly. Also, sometimes it doesn't even idle at all, which is what I'm dealing with now. I tried leaving the gas cap off (read that somewhere). That didn't work. I tried putting some Seafoam through it. Also didn't work. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-18, 10:00 AM
Take look at this YouTube video. Sounds like it might apply to your situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE7CAKIeUXU

Old 06-17-18, 04:15 PM
VId's pretty atrocious, virtually every shot is way too close up (sorry if it's yours ) But, basically, take apart the carb and blow through the holes, yeah? I'll give that a shot, then.

Old 06-17-18, 06:58 PM
No not mine. But it thought it was pretty clear. In fact I think I may need the same diagnostic on mine.

Old 06-17-18, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I mean, for a newb, it's not helpful because he doesn't really show any of the taking apart.. And for the experienced guy, he could have just said "clean out your carbeurator" at the beginning, and been done. But yeah, I figured that would be part of the troubleshooting process at some point. I've never done it before, but it seems fairly simple. I'll give it a shot in the morning.

Old 06-18-18, 11:48 AM
It worked! I didn't actually have that "jet valve intake" piece that guy in the video had, but I took apart the carburetor and blew air all over and up in it, and put it back together, and now it's back to good. Thanks!

Old 06-18-18, 05:48 PM
Good to hear. Maybe I'll try it for mine. But I seem to have another problem. White smoke at start up.