Generator intermittent operation

Old 06-17-18, 10:13 AM
Received 137 Votes on 125 Posts
Generator intermittent operation

I have a Coleman Power PM435001 Generator equipped with a Subaru engine model EX13D. Purchased in 2006. Supplements house power via transfer box when lose of utilities arise. Have not needed the unit for several seasons.

Units starts first or second try on full choke, runs smooth for about 5 minutes then dies out. Moving chock to mid point is about the same. Putting choke at run position ,unit dies out. Upon each subsequent start, getting white smoke from exhaust then clears and runs smooth for about 3 to 5 minutes then dies out. Unit always re-starts on first or second try but continues to die out after five minutes. Is my instincts telling me I've a blown gasket or need piston rings?

BTW...low oil cut off is checked and have plenty of oil. Also I do get full electric power from the generator.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-18, 12:29 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 355 Votes on 325 Posts
I wonder if the carburetor needs cleaning. First, you mention that it sat a long period without being run. Second, you say it starts and runs on the choke but the engine doesn't run when the choke is opened. Another thing to check would be the fuel shutoff valve and fuel line to make sure they are not partially clogged and starving the carb of gas after 5 minutes running.

Old 06-17-18, 01:30 PM
PD,

I used a can of Seafoam with fresh gas. The unit stood for almost year with no gas in the tank or carb. I would agree with you except the smooth running at half or full chock and the white smoke at start up. The carb can't hold more than 2 minutes of gas. But you may be right. The white smoke has me bothered.

Old 06-17-18, 07:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 20 Posts
The white smoke sounds like the oil may be contaminated with gas. Is the oil thin and does it smell of gas?

Old 06-18-18, 03:28 AM
Funny you mention that. Yes the oil seems very thin but no gas smell to it.

Old 06-18-18, 11:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 20 Posts
Try changing the oil just to be sure... it could have been gas contamination long ago and the pungent smell of gas may have already dissipated.