John Deere F525

Old 06-26-18, 01:42 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation John Deere F525

Hello all-

Ran into a problem with a otherwise trusty(but old) mower. It stalls when I release the foot pedal, also stalls when engaging the PTO switch. I have a jump wire on the seat switch, have replaced the PTO switch and the brake switch. Spoke to the dealer and they say the clutch would be the next suspect. The mower only has 500 hours on it and I really want to keep it as it does a great job and not ready to buy a new one. Does anyone have any ideas other than what I have tried?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-18, 01:53 PM
M
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Not sure if you can jump wire the seat switch. That's a kill circuit that runs open when you're in the seat.

Old 06-27-18, 12:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 40 Posts
Sounds like a problem with the seat switch to me. Some seat switches can't simply be jumped out with a wire in the connector.

Old 06-27-18, 03:48 AM
B
Received 88 Votes on 77 Posts
Releasing the foot pedal, engaging the drive wheels, or energizing the blade belt clutch, turning the blades, puts a large load on the engine. If the engine RPMs are not high enough, either operation could stall the engine. Is this a condition that just happened or was something else done prior to the above problem? Not sure why you changed the brake and clutch switches because the symptom you describe indicates they are functional. Don’t understand why the need to jumper the seat switch unless you are exiting the mower when engaging the drive wheels or energizing the blade clutch (not very likely). You are defeating a safety feature which is penny wise and pound foolish. Fix the seat switch problem first.

Old 06-27-18, 04:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 624 Votes on 577 Posts
You have only described the problem as "it stalls". How exactly does the engine stall? Does it die suddenly like turning a switch off or does it sound more like the engine is being dragged down until it dies?

Old 07-03-18, 04:18 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. Let me back it up. The mower first started having an issue while running and would seem to cut out for a second and then catch itself, would never stall though. Forward to now. Start it up, everything normal starts instantly. Remove foot from brake and stalls, more like the sound as if it was turned off then the engine itself having an issue. I did have the jump wire on it for awhile due to constantly having to stop for large sticks/debri in the yard, so I know the jump wire worked because it would stay running when I exited. I am willing to replace the seat switch just to eliminate from the possibilities, but feel something else is amiss.

Old 07-03-18, 10:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 40 Posts
Just test it if you have an ohmmeter. Test it with the connector on it and without.