Briggs-timing problem after replacing ring gear

Old 07-04-18, 06:34 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Briggs-timing problem after replacing ring gear

Hello all, I need some help. I have a Murray riding mower, 14.5 hp 42inch, Briggs n Stratton about 18 yrs old, but was still running great. Had several teeth missing from the flywheel ring gear. Pulled flywheel etc, replaced the ring gear with a metal one, reassembled it. Magnets were fine under the flywheel and the sensor beside the flywheel was fine. Now motor cranks but never catches n backfires blue smoke thru carb. So I assume I somehow changed the ignition timing. I don't understand the problem since the shaft key maintains the position of the flywheel on the crankshaft. Two things... I didn't use a torque wrench putting the flywheel back on, and I didn't look down the shaft to see how far down wheel was seated on the shaft. As I said, I really don't understand how I apparently changed the crank/flywheel position n timing. Thanks in advance for help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-18, 07:16 AM
M
Received 15 Votes on 14 Posts
The inlaid magnets on the flywheel and the ignition module are the critical positioning things for ignition timing. Take the flywheel back off and check the flywheel key. When you put it back together, don't lube the shaft or flywheel. Those have to be dry.

Probably when you installed the flywheel you missed the key with the flywheel notch. Just turn the flywheel until you feel it drop down on the key. Then turn it slightly to make sure it caught the key. Lastly tighten the crank nut.

Old 07-04-18, 07:53 AM
K
Thanks, I'll give it a try later today n let u know.

Old 07-04-18, 09:12 AM
K
Ur right on the nose. The flywheel was 180 degrees away from the keyway. The key was sheared down about half it's length. So I assume I didn't torque down the flywheel bolt enough for the flywheel to seat with enough friction. And the key took the force which it's not designed for. What torque should I tighten the bolt to? Thanks for the great help, I'll get a new key tomorrow.

Old 07-05-18, 06:43 AM
M
Received 15 Votes on 14 Posts
The torque is probably about 65 ft lbs. You can look that up by Model number pretty easy on a Briggs site.

Old 07-09-18, 09:12 PM
K
Success

All,
thanks for the help. Put in new key, torqued bolt down with torque wrench. It ran great for an hour then drive issue. Found two melted out pulleys on the drive belt. Replaced 3 pulleys while I was under there. NOW running great, again. A couple repairs, not bad for a 20yr old mower.