Poulan P3314

Old 07-17-18, 07:36 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Poulan P3314

I have a used Poulan P3314 chain saw. My friend left gas in carb and it destroyed the fuel lines and purging bulb. So he changed lines and bulb and the unit won't start. So, I took the task of repairing it. I got a K-20 carb kit and installed it. O yea its a (Walbro WTA30,812 carb on this unit). After the kit was installed I noticed heavy fuel in the piston area, at times had fuel coming out the carb. Man just confusing. So I tried the bulb alone and fuel flowed as it should. I thought the fuel lines may be crossed on the carb. I swopped them and not deal. So I took carb off and attached the fuel line system to the carb and pumped the bulb with the line attached to the carb one way the bulb would go in and basically not come out? I swopped the line on the carb and the bulb would pump in and out as normal but just air no fuel.

I have take the carb apart several times to make sure it was assembled correctly. It appears to be...…….... I have had a had time locating exact directions on how to do the kit install. It appears the fuel wont flow through the carb as it is intended to. As I said the carb is off the unit and all lines and bulb are attached. I inserted the suction line in fuel and the bulb goes in and does not come out. I swopped the fuel line position on the carb and pumped again, the bulb goes in and out as it should but just moves air. The bulb alone works perfect, just on the carb is where the issue is.

Thanks in advance

Old 07-18-18, 12:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Don't be too hard on your friend, those lines and primer will rot and crumble with or without fuel in it.

You can just buy a carb so cheaply nowadays that it makes more sense to just replace them. Personally, I wouldn't put much effort or money into this saw.

Old 07-18-18, 02:10 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Good point about the cards they are cheap compared to a rebuild but the cheap ones from China.

I used one a couple years ago for a Echo blower and I could never get it to run decent afterwards so just be aware they are not the perfect solution.

Old 07-18-18, 05:55 AM
D
Where can I get a cheap carb from?

Old 07-18-18, 08:55 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I dont understand why we have to have a min of 25 characters!

eBay is full of them!

Old 07-18-18, 09:48 AM
R
Received 67 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Where can I get a cheap carb from?
Try Amazon.....................................................................................................................................

Old 07-18-18, 10:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can buy the genuine part for $30-$35 all over the internet, not a chinese knockoff. That's cheap IMO. There's a Chinese aftermarket with lines and new primer for $17.98 and free shipping on ebay. Don't know how good it is.

Old 07-18-18, 10:52 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Double check your line hookup with this diagram.

https://thebeginnerslens.com/wp-cont...com-images.png

Old 07-18-18, 07:16 PM
D
I have spend hours on this darn thing and now it just a matter of I will figure it out or dye trying LOL!!!!!!!!!

Been at it again tonight. Here is where I am at now. O yea also FULLY understand the routing of the fuel lines. Thanks for the link!!! With fuel line from tank (small with filter) going to carb on throttle side then on choke side that line is going to purge bulb, then from purge bulb to tank return. With this set up the bulb does nothing. As I push it in it just come right back out and basically I only hear a little air swishing back and forth. Almost like their is air getting into the system somewhere. So I took carb apart again, inspected all gaskets, seals etc to try to find where air may be getting into the system (no luck) I reversed the lines on the bulb in it pushed gas into the carb backwards (in through the out door) and the fuel was going out the butterfly valve on front of carb. So i took off the lines on the bulb and put my finger on one nipple and pressed the bulb. The bulb went in and out and seemed to get soft as I think it should????? Then on the other nipple I think it should be hard and not let any air in or out, well it depresses freely and air swishes in and out. It is a new bulb, could this be my problem or am I just barking up the wrong tree

Old 07-18-18, 08:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yeah, sounds like the primer is bad.

Old 07-19-18, 03:33 AM
D
Thanks, I will get a new one

Old 07-19-18, 06:53 PM
D
Well got a new purge bulb still no go.

Question is see mention that the metal metering cover needs to be put back in the same position as it was. As far as the hole in it. Does this really make a difference? If so Why?

Old 07-19-18, 07:12 PM
M
With the lines hooked up as in the diagram and a purge bulb that sucks through one side and pushes air/gas out the other, what are you getting with the bulb hooked up to the carb. The line going back to the tank should be squirting fuel.

Old 07-19-18, 07:21 PM
D
man thanks for asking.

When lines are hooked up i get nothing from the intake line. Just air in and out. I am convinced that the carb is sucking in air so their is no vacuum when the bulb is pressed.

When I hook up the fuel system off the motor the bulb works perfectly. Then I attach the carb into the system not on engine and it does not suck fuel. Air is getting in from some where.

I have tested follow me here. I took out metering valve, fuel needle and fuel pump. And assembled it back together. Swooped to bulb position so I was pumping fuel into the carb and not sucking. I got fuel of of the idle orifice in the throat of the card as i pumped the bulb and a second area. So I assume that where the carb is getting it air from and not pulling fuel as it should.

Old 07-19-18, 07:24 PM
D
It has to be getting air from somewhere, not allowing a vacuum to form and pulling in fuel.

Old 07-19-18, 07:50 PM
M
When you put a kit in those things they usually provide some extra diaphragms and gaskets so the same kit will work for different carbs. I suspect you either used the wrong diaphragm or you have one rotated and the pump flaps aren't in a position to work properly.

Double check that sort of thing and reference it with the instructions or you can usually find an instructional video to go by.

The primer bulb should pull gas straight through the carb and return it to the tank. That system isn't to actually prime the engine, but to just purge the air from the fuel system.

Old 07-19-18, 07:55 PM
M
Old 07-19-18, 09:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does the new primer bulb work as it should with no hoses connected?

Old 07-20-18, 04:52 PM
D
Yes cheese it does.
It also work properly if I connect two short piece of fuel line to it. It sucks fuel up into it and out as it should. I did this test with fuel in a glass jar.

It when I connect to the carb is when it does not pump fuel. I also done this test with the carb fuel intake hose in the same jar with fuel in it. All it does is make a swishing sound.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: